ISE 9.1i and partial reconfiguration

Hi all! ISE 9.1i is finally out! I read the marketing papers but didn't find any word about partial reconfiguration support.

Mehdi

Reply to
El-Mehdi Taileb

They also talk about some kind of source-code control "feature" --

"Source Code Control Capabilities: Allows users to quickly and easily identify the files associated with a known version of their design. They can then export the source files and scripts needed to regenerate the project with the same sources and settings."

Rather than reinvent the wheel, why don't they just make their tools friendlier to use with existing SCC systems (Subversion, Perforce, Bitkeeper, whatever)?

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

,,, and did they fix their Binary Project file mis-step ?

There is some info on incremental changes here

Hasn't Altera had that for a while.. ?

No mention if incremental changes works on purely Xilinx flows, or webpack, the PR is all about Synplicity.

-jg

Reply to
-jg

Mehdi,

What exactly are you looking for, in terms of partial reconfiguration support? Generally, partial reconfiguration is already well supported, especially in Virtex-4 and Virtex-5 devices. The early XAPP290 flow works, although it's a bit clunky. However, the Early Access Partial Reconfiguration (access approval required) flow also works very well and is significantly more efficient. Although it's not a "hard" requirement, you probably need PlanAhead to really employ it.

I could be wrong, but I don't think ISE 9.1i includes any "silver bullet" partial reconfiguration support, if you're looking for an automated process. But certainly look into the EAPR flow -- it's as good as it gets for the time being. I've personally experienced a high degree of success with it.

Julian Kain

El-Mehdi Taileb wrote:

Reply to
Julian Kain

Julian, I already have access to EAPR. What I would like to know is if this is finally included in the standard ISE9.1i or if i should continue to have separate installation of ise patched by EAPR. Concerning the XAPP290: I thought that it wasn't applicable to Virtex-4/5 because of the absence of TBUFs. What I use is the module-based reconfiguration. The EAPR can be used using scripts in command mode although it is highly recommended to use PlanAhead.

Mehdi

Julian Ka> Mehdi,

Reply to
El-Mehdi Taileb