ISE 8.2 - time to crash 20 minutes

Hi

Xilinx software is getting better! With 8.1 release I managed to get first
fatal crash within 5 minutes after install, with 8.2 it did take 20mins
already!

ok, actually its not even a crash - with WebPack 8.2 if running coregen and
selecting

Clocking - Virtex 5

then the screen will start to blink wild

and a double click will then terminate the coregen.

still 20 mins to crash is an improvment compared to 5 mins.

Antti
PS the hotkeys in ISE text editor now work again! finally!

Re: ISE 8.2 - time to crash 20 minutes

I thought webpack did not support Virtex5 ? - or is this the full
foundation  ?
-jg

Re: ISE 8.2 - time to crash 20 minutes

Hi Jim,

its WebPack and you are right it does not support Virtex-5, but in WebPack
8.2 Coregen
the Virtex-5 clocking ip cores are visible. but selecting that item makes
the coregen Crazy!

Antti

Re: ISE 8.2 - time to crash 20 minutes

On the subject of this blindspot, I did notice these releases with a wry
smile :

Press release headline:
"Xilinx Releases ISE WebPACK 8.2i - FPGA Industry's Only Free Fully
Featured Design Suite"

Well, no, not quite fully featured, but what's a marketdriod to know...

and I get this promo by email :

Xilinx: Webcast: Design for Performance with Virtex-5 FPGAs
"In this webcast you will:
How Virtex-5 FPGAs achieve 30% higher performance than previous
generation device
Guidelines and insight to help you design for maximum performance
Advanced techniques and tool settings to maximize performance"

So, it seems they DO want to sell the silicon; you just have to pay
to even trial it...

Does seem like the right hand has not idea what the left hand is doing ? ;)

-jg

Site Timeline