ISE 8.1 with 7.1

Hi, I'm currently working with ISE 7.1 SP4, but I'd now like to try the 8.1 SP3 version. Can I install 8.1 on the same pc where I have 7.1? Will I get conflicts or will I be able to work with both, installed on the same pc? Thanks, Marco

Reply to
Marco

you will need to have path and env setup to start one of them, but they can be installed on the same PC with no conflicts

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Hi Antti, so far with ISE 7.1 I've only have the system variable "c:\xilinx71" in my environment variables list, is this the only one I should switch in order to move from 7.1 to 8.1 and back or ate there other settings I should take care about? Thanks, Marco

Reply to
Marco

it better to be sure that the path only points to the relevant install location as well, except that its only the XILINX env variable I think

Reply to
Antti

Thanks Antti, Marco

Reply to
Marco

Hi Marco,

Using Batch files works well - create a .bat file with lines such as:

REM ### start ise/edk 7.1 - setup the paths first set XILINX c:\xilinx71 set XILINX_EDK c:\edk\7.1 set PATH %XILINX%\bin\nt;%XILINX_EDK%\bin\nt;%PATH% REM ### start the program xps.exe

Having a separate file for both versions you want should work, as it sets the environment vairables first, and then runs the program. I use this on both linux and windows. hope it helps!

Marco wrote:

Reply to
John McGrath

Hi John, I'll try it, thanks so much. Marco

Reply to
Marco

I'm using different approach and it works.

Install first 71 in the c:\xilinx folder. Then manually rename it to, let say xilinx_71, and install 81 in the c:\xilinx folder.

Whenever I need another ver i just rename them manually.

Reply to
leevv