ise 7.1 sp1 BEWARE !

Just a short note of caution ....

After installing sp1 for ise 7.1 (linux) mapper is crashing:

map -p xc4vlx25-sf363-10 -timing -register_duplication -pr b -o
usb_top_map.ncd usb_top.ngd usb_top.pcf
Release 7.1.01i - Map H.39
Copyright (c) 1995-2005 Xilinx, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Using target part "4vlx25sf363-10".
Mapping design into LUTs...
Writing file usb_top_map.ngm...
Running directed packing...
Running delay-based LUT packing...
Running timing-driven packing...

Phase 1.1
Phase 1.1 (Checksum:9e05bf) REAL time: 8 secs

<SNIP>

Phase 14.5
Phase 14.5 (Checksum:8583af2) REAL time: 5 mins 23 secs

Invoking physical synthesis ...
Abort (core dumped)

Regards,
rudi
Rudolf Usselmann,  ASICS World Services,  http://www.asics.ws
Your Partner for IP Cores, Design, Verification and Synthesis

Re: ise 7.1 sp1 BEWARE !

This problem can be avoided if you turn off that new
"-register_duplication" feature.

Bret

Re: ise 7.1 sp1 BEWARE !

a nice "feature" !!
you should call thise feature "force core dump" then people would know to
avoid it, and not spend hours of frustration!

antti

Re: ise 7.1 sp1 BEWARE !

Bret,

Before sp1, "-register_duplication" helped me meet timing when
IO buffer registers needed to be duplicated.
Do you know of another work around ?

Thanks,
rudi
Rudolf Usselmann,  ASICS World Services,  http://www.asics.ws
Your Partner for IP Cores, Design, Verification and Synthesis

Re: ise 7.1 sp1 BEWARE !

Hi Rudi,

We've seen one similar case and that was a Windows only failure. If you
have access to a Linux or Solaris machine, that might work. On the other
  hand, that case wasn't an SP1 regression like yours is, so they may be
different problems. If that doesn't work, a webcase would be the next
suggestion.

Regards,
Bret

Re: ise 7.1 sp1 BEWARE !

Bret,

the reported problem occurred on a Linux system. We only use
a windows notebook for downloading of bit streams and ChipScope,
otherwise only Linux.

Best Regards,
rudi
Rudolf Usselmann,  ASICS World Services,  http://www.asics.ws
Your Partner for IP Cores, Design, Verification and Synthesis

Site Timeline