is Quartus 7.1 really that S*** !?

Hi

so far I hear that "Altera tools are getting better" - now I wonder how long should one wait til they become useable?

Q II 7.1, very small design for smallex MAX2

Quartus will self-terminate every few hours, the PC has 2GB RAM, isnt that enought for the ultimate smallest MAX2 !?

also the UFM block simulation doesnt want to work at all, well maybe i am doing something wrong yet, but I havent seen the UFM content ever been shifter out in the simulation :(

Antti

Reply to
Antti

ok, the situation with quartus isnt that bad. well it did self-terminated itself again 5 times in the last 2 hours but at least the UFM simulation works ok, was possible only caused by the mis-interpreted by quartus HEX file. with MIF the UFM sims do work ok

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Surely you would be the kind of person to jump to conclusion? I have used Quartus II from before version 6 and I have never had a crash (unlike with ISE).

Tommy

Reply to
Tommy Thorn

You mustn't use it very much then! I'm not saying it's flakey, it _is_ pretty stable, but I certainly couldn't say it _never_ crashes.

Antti, I have it on good authority that Quartus v7.1 is not to be touched with a 10-ft clown pole, but v7.2 fixes a lot of the problems with it. I'm still using v7.0 myself (for this reason), so all this is just hear-say.

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,

eh, yes, I have really occasionally touched quartus. to my memory it did never have problems.

so that made me really wonder that 7.1 self-terminates about once per hour.

expect that self-termiation it works rather fine, and yes its better to live with occasioal self-closure then real bugs with tools like some other vendor tools

Antti

Reply to
Antti

I am not sure I follow - your smallest design takes hour(s) to synthesize and p&r??? I have used Q2 7.1 for about 20K le designs. So far no problems. But I must say, that Q2 does crash once in a blue moon but that is during synthesis.

Reply to
fpgabuilder

no, the design take very little time to run p&r but Quartus itself SELF-terminates itself at least 1 time each hour!

ok, so what you see "once in a blue moon" I see at least every hour...

I switched from 7.1 to 7.2 maybe its better now

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Haven't seen that problem. I leave Q2 7.1 running before leaving at night. It goes through s,p&r for about 1/2 hour and then just sits idle without crashing or terminating. Could it be the license server on your machine? Or one of those Altera Opencore evaluation ip timing out on you?

Reply to
fpgabuilder

i did work very much with the simulator, so I was typing and clicking with mouse all the time and witnessed those self-closure effects. maybe it is related to simulator somehow

Antti

Reply to
Antti

So you should know if it is better fairly quickly :) Perhaps it's also device dependant ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville