Is a CPLD appropriate for this triple PWM application?

Right, but my question (as elementary as it may be) was whether PDM would work for such an application or whether PWM is preferred for any particular reason. Both of them seem to acheive the same thing in different ways assuming the frequency is adequately high.

grusse, frenchy

Reply to
they call me frenchy

"they call me frenchy" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

For LEDs, PWM is just as good as PDM. PDM has the advantage that you can use lower clock frequencies, but this is not a real advantage.

Regards Falk

Reply to
Falk Brunner

That would be comp.arch.embedded. If you go for the AVR, you'll also find

to be very helpful.

mvh.,

David

Reply to
David Brown

In battery powered applications I was under the impression that lowering the clock frequency was one of the main keys to saving precious power. Also, the fact that PDM uses less logic resources than does PWM further tells me that PDM has an edge over PWM for L..E..D applications.... but I see that most driver ICs for this this application use PWM pretty much exclusively, hmmmm.

thx, frenchy

Reply to
they call me frenchy

A minus of PDM, is there are more edges, and thus more EMC issues....

Because Microcontrollers target wider markets, and have timers with capture/compare from way back, they almost all use PWM. In terms of uC die area, the difference is not significant. However, (just to keep you on your toes), a few use a mix of PWM and PDM, and we have done a design that used a UART to generate PWM+PDM DAC output.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville