INFO: *.XDL file

Hi guys,

Any 1 help me with info on *.XDL file, i know that this file a ASCII verison of the NCD file. can 1 tell me where i can get more info?? i have extensively searched the Xilinx webpage in vain.

Reply to
Superman

Create an XDL file of your design and it will have some (all that exists to my knowledge!) documentation of the format inside.

There was a long thread on XDL not long back, which you might find enlightening... search google groups for "working with XDL"

Cheers, Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
http://www.trw.com/conekt

Hi Martin

thanx a lot for that reply. It was lot useful. i have one more question for you.

have created my *.Xdl file and i have and i am actually trying to move the design to a new location. btw i am using a VIRTEXII FPGA.

the xdl file read as follows: inst "XLXI_1/counter_out1" "SLICE",placed R2C1 SLICE_X1Y77,

so this inst is at row 2 and column 1, i just tried to move to a new location like say same row i.e. row 2 but column 30, and i saved it and tried to convert it back to a *.ncd file.

NOW, i am getting some errors while converting back. At the command promt i typed xdl -xdl2ncd .xdl .ncd

Is this rite???????

was my changing the places of the inst wrong??? How do we modify the placement...do i have to change the slice location too ...

please help me ....i am in dire need to move the design to a new location by modifying the XDL file.

Reply to
Superman

Erm....

Yes.

I believe so, and you'll need to modify all the routing as well (unless it is just a placed design)

I think you'd be better off using Floorplanner to move stuff around and create UCF constraints for it...

If you really need to move stuff around in XDL you'll need to learn all the low-level guts of the FPGA - have a play around with FPGA editor to see how much stuff there is in there!

Cheers, Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
http://www.trw.com/conekt