In need of some life-changing advice

I just graduated from the University of Maryland with a degree in Computer Engineering. I am currently doing QA for a software developer and I realize that this is definately not what I want to do. The more I think about doing hardware design, the more I hear a voice in my head subtly whispering to me: "WEST ... GO WEST...". Sure, there is some hardware design over here on the east coast, but I am just so freaking sick of this cold weather. Can anyone offer any advice on making the move from the east coast to the west coast in hopes of landing that hardware job of my dreams?

Sincerely, Oren F.

Reply to
sdaq

"sdaq" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

The only advice for you: Do whatever it takes to make your dreams true -

:) My dream at school was

- best looking girl from my class, also first love (100% single sided)

- palm trees

- white sand

- blue lagoon

only many years after school I did make that dream true (kind of) she had a family already, but I did take her to world-around PANAM first class from Tokyo to Hawai, a few weeks on the westcoast... It wasnt easy to arrange (Estonia was part of former ex-USSR at that time!)

A job itself is hardly something to be dream of. Its mostly hard work as reward some of your real dreams may be fulfilled.

I am 40years old in few month, I have never used a paid vaccation and I have never had vaccation with my family. So my dream is that some time, hopefully as soon as 2006 I can afford to have a vaccation with my Family.

You can land a job anywhwere, dont "hope to land a job" do something! Like write some really cool IP-Core something that makes some "news" turbulence, that coud help ;)

Hm I already have a project for you... a bit-serial implementation of ARM processor - it is doable, it would be working full ARM useable on small FPGAs, sure it would run about 40 times slower than parallel ARM, but hehe a

1MHz effective clock ARM core that is smaller than MicroBlaze or NIOS-IIe ? And capable to execute in-place code from serial memories or MMC/SD Card? That would be a real nice thing! Besides anyone who does it, will deserve some "attention" from ARM lawers, in my opinion such attention (if it comes) would be funny and only serve as good advertizing! Want to take that project? I can help you get started and mentor the verification. Its doable thing, it should not even take too long to implement. I guarantee that I help you if needed to get it finished, should you volounteer to try.

No but really before deciding, try to fully implement some useable and useful IP-Core, including testbench hardware verification, after that revise your dreams once again..

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Reply to
Symon

Thanks so much for your good advice. I hope that you take that vacation soon! I would love to try your idea out. can I email you for help? Oren

Reply to
sdaq

To the original poster: Be careful - ARM protect their IP very agressively - it's their primary revenue stream.

Even student projects have been shut down, or at least removed from public access, after pressure from the legal heavies. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but that's how it is.

I would think very, very carefully before taking Antti's advice on this particular project. Probably a great project from a technical perspective, but you'll also learn a lot more about legal harassment than you might prefer...

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams