implement IP TCP Layer in FPGA

Hi, I want to implement IP and TCP Layer in FPGA. I don't know if some of you have done something about this implentation. I need some advice. What can you think about this project? (the bandwith is 10Gb ethernet). Thank you Pierre

Reply to
freechip

Short answer, it is a big project. A very big project.

IP is fairly easy.

TCP for a very limited list of connections (like 1 to 16) isn't too bad, as long as the odd cases are ignored. This can work very well as long as you only talk to "well behaved" remote hosts over "well behaved" networks. Unless you need to send a lot of data, a local CPU with a network stack is probably a better choice.

Full TCP, at wire speed, with hardware to handle most of the odd cases, is very hard. Will require lots of gates, lots of internal and external memory, lots of simulation and testing.

-- Phil Hays

Reply to
Phil Hays

I believe 4links in the UK implemented a product like that, do a search for

4links+TCP+FPGA and you will find the press releases,

Hans

Hans