Image Resolution Rescaling

Hello, I have to do some video scaling on 24-bit video for a 8-bit
video dac and am looking for some help in scaling the data. The video
image is 512 x 512 and each pixel is 24-bits. The video DAC is only 8-
bits so I need to do some rescaling of the pixels. The images are
arriving every 10msec but it is not crucial that I process each frame
in 10msec, it could be 20msec but I cannot go beyond that because it
will be noticable on the display. Does anyone know of some real-time
algorithms that can help be scale my data  without just throwing aways
the LSB's. If anyone has done such a thing in an FPGA or know where I
could get more information please let me know.

Thanks,
joe

Re: Image Resolution Rescaling
Your pixel frequency seems to be about 25 MHz, i.e 40 nanoseconds per
pixel. That should give you plenty of time for all sorts of
algorithms, pipelined or not pipelined, if you really want to convert
24 bits into 8 bits.
Or am I missing something?
Peter Alfke

Re: Image Resolution Rescaling

So this is RGB data, at 8 bits/channel, to monochrome 8 bits ?
Simplest conversion is a sum and divide by 3.
If you have multipliers, this could be appx as  * 21 and /64 (Shift 6)

  You can do LSB rounding, to get within half a LSB, but you probably
will not actually see that. Beyond that, what other scale did you have
in mind ? - you could weight each of the RGB, and even do a
Contrast/Brightness/Offset calc,

-jg

Re: Image Resolution Rescaling

Hello all, thanks for responding to my post. The data rate may seem
strange 10msec, but that's the rate. The video data is actually
grayscale or I guess that would be monochrome data. I did find an
algoritm off the net :
       pix   + frameminValue
y = -----------------------------------------------        * 2^b
      framemaxValue - frameminValue

where b is the number of bits of the video dac. In this equation I
need to find the max and min values of the image frame. I might have
to apply the max and min value on the next image frame which shouldn't
be a problem. Does this equation sound do-able for a Stratix II FPGA?

thanks,
joe

Re: Image Resolution Rescaling

This is doable in the FPGA only if you can read the frame twice.  The
internal storage won't buffer a 512x512x24 image.  Once past that, this
method is beyond simple but probably not accurate for your needs.

If your 24 bits are true grayscale, this shift of black and white levels
may be desirable but it may be detrimental depending on your image.

What is the nature of your 24 bit data?  To have so much grayscale
information usually suggests there's specific purpose besides grayscale
display.  If you wish to display the nuances of the grayscale so your
8-bit output doesn't present "terracing" for a smooth transition between
two close levels of gray, you can dither the error (the fraction that
doesn't fit in 8 bits) in the adjacent pixels.  Error diffusion is used
extensively in imaging - at least from the print and copy side - and is
probably documented for display applications as well.

If your grayscale isn't typically spread across most of the full
24'h000000 -> 24'hffffff range, the algorithm you found on the net will
help expand the dynamic range of your image but will still throw away
the lower bits.  If your image is a polar bear eating vanilla ice cream
in a snowstorm, this re-scaled image will produce VERY unusual results
since many of those white, white, white pixels are now black or dark gray.

I'd suggest that for a 512x512 image where the total visual integration
isn't very large, 8 bits are easily discarded and not all of the
remaining 8 "fraction" bits are useful; for grayscale, I'd think 4 bits
of fraction would be hard to discern from 3.  But it's a pretty simple
matter to retain the full 16-bit error for the one line of data that has
to be retained for a proper error diffusion.  Its overkill to use 16
bits when 3 is wholly sufficient, but you have 24 bits of data.  I'm
still not sure why.  No application I've ever known has 24 bits of
grayscale data.

A good error diffusion for large, smooth areas isn't the simplest thing
to do but can easily be done (performance and resource-wise) in an
inexpensive FPGA family.  For print purposes I worked on a design
recently that was running error diffusion (proprietary algorithm, sorry)
at a mild 50 MHz.  Because of all the tweaks for high-quality printing
at high resolution (compared to your image, at least) the resources were
much larger than most other functions we needed but at 512 pixel width
AND use of grayscale rather than bi-level, your requirements would drop
significantly.

If all you want is a "rough stab" at diffusing the error to avoid the
terracing in a grayscale image, the implementation is probably extremely
simple compared to our bi-level output requirements in printing where
there's either a dot or there isn't.

If your 24-bit video isn't really 24 bits of grayscale, I hope you
figure out what you want to accomplish.  If it is RGB data that you want
to convert to monochrome, look for colorspace conversion.  The matrix
operations are simple to convert from one color space to another (such
as RGB to YCrCb or just Y for your grayscale needs) but is not a simple
"sum and divide" suggested earlier.  It's simple, but not that simple.

Good luck in defining your requirements and I hope your implementation
is fun!

Re: Image Resolution Rescaling

I find a one dimensional diffusion works suprisingly well, if you're
just dropping a few lsbs.

Site Timeline