I2C Slave

Hi!

I am searching a synthesizable I2C Slave model in VHDL. Does somebody know where I can find it?

Thanks

Regards, Matija

Reply to
Matija

Did you check opencores.org? That is always a good place to start. They have a lot of IO peripherals available.

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

Be careful, though, Matija, the I2C slave core in OpenCores has significant errors. I used it and had to debug it to the point that I totally synchronized it, with the exception of the microprocessor interface of course, in order for it to work properly. Unfortunately I cannot send you this design, because all of my work belongs to my client company, as they paid for my efforts. The OpenCores designs apparently are someone's pet academic projects that aren't really being used in the real world. They come close but no enchilada.

I don't know if you are using Xilinx, but they have a I2C core that I would investigate if I were doing it over again.

Good luck.

Simon Ramirez, Consultant Oviedo, FL USA Synchronous Design , Inc. Xilinx XPERTS Partner

Reply to
S Ramirez

Hi!

Simon , can You send me your e-mail adress?I try to reply You direct but that don't work

Thanks

significant

would

Reply to
Matija

I looked around for the same but written in Verilog. Never found one (I looked at the opencores master model but I don't trust it), so I ended up writing one.

Part of the complication is what kind of slave you're trying to implement. For example, imagine you'd like to simply implement an I2C slave RAM. That differs from, say, implementing a clone of the Philips PCF8574 8-bit I/O expander.

My design required that an external master read and write a handful of registers in my FPGA. It's one of those deals where you have to write the address of the first register (an eight-bit number, for a total of

256 possible register), then you can essentially burst read or write from there.

Basically, the I2C Slave Module itself has an eight-bit address register output, an eight-bit output port (where data written by the master appears), an eight-bit data input port (where data to be read by the master must be driven) and a single bit "WriteDataValid" strobe.

Logic outside that module implements the registers and address decoding. The address is used as a mux select; the mux inputs are all of the register and the mux output always drives the I2C slave's master-read data input. The address is also decoded and when the WriteDataValid strobe is active, the contents of the I2C slave's master write output port are stored in an appropriate register.

It's also synchronous with a convenient clock. It took about a day to write, and I spent another day on a behavioral I2C master model and a test bench.

No, I cannot give you the code, but I would imagine you've got enough hints to complete your design.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters