I need relocate my program outside bram...

I'm developing an embedded web server into a XupV2pro board with a VirtexII-pro fpga. While all my code was in the bram memory all works fine, the problem was that the application grew and grew until a moment when the EDK says that my bram was full. Now I need relocate some parts of my application (code, data or both) to fit in external DDR RAM, the problem is that I try to do this visually with the EDK's option 'generate linker script', putting section .text and .data outside bram into DDR. I recompile the project and all is right but when y download it to the fpga it doesn't work. I go back, remove some files of my project, generate a new linker script where all sections were in bram, compile, download and it run fine. I would like you help me to understand the 'linker script' and how to generate one for my purpose.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Marco Albero

The JTAG loader only loads the BRAM's, since they are part of the FPGA. IOW, you have loaded the hardware, but not the software. You can use XMD to load your application into external memory via JTAG, or put a bootloader in BRAM, and have it load your app from somewhere else (typically flash, but you could boot from the network server, serial port, etc.)

Alternately, you can use SysACE, and load everything (FPGA configuration & application) from CF. The advantage to the SysACE chip is that you can skip the configuration PROM altogether, and you don't need JTAG tools (it uses a FAT filesystem)

Reply to
radarman