HW Debug tools

Has anyone used any of the HW debug tools that are available for use
with a logic analyzer? I'm talking about the FPGAView tool from First
Silicon Solutions for the Tek analyzer, or the Dynamic probe from Agilent.

I'm starting a new project, and have no analyzer. Some groups in the
company are using Altera, some are using Xilinx. I'm reasonably neutral.

Do you have any horror stories or successes? Any thoughts?

RB

Re: HW Debug tools
One thing worth considering is using logic analyser cores from Xilinx -
Chipscope or Altera - Signaltap themselves alone. If you are on a
tightish budget they are very cost effective and very good. We find we
don't usually need anything more and they are very portable, i.e.
laptop, if you need to work in the field. Downside of thsee tools is
they need resource in the FPGA.  Using one of the hookups to an
external analyser does mean less resource used in the FPGA and that is
generally the only time I would use such an analyser. Even then I would
take the option, if available, of starting with an oversized FPGA to
allow the build in of an analyser function rather than plan to use an
external analyser.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd.

Re: HW Debug tools

Still, an external analyser has a much deeper storage than available
inside an fpga. And a logic analyzer doesn't need to be expensive. For
instance, my ancient DAS9200 with 92C96XD card has up to 512k points
per channel (at 400Ms/s). I bought it on Ebay a few years ago for 66
US Dollar. Every now and then a TLA500 or TLA510 (the little brothers
of the DAS9200) unit pops up.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)