how to read this book« Digital integrated circuits.a design perspective(Second Edition)»

=ABDigital integrated circuits.a design perspective(Second Edition)=BB Author:Jan.M.Rabaey

My teach tell me this is a very good book.But now,I am a fresh person in this field.My mostly work is write verilog code everyday.And before I studying verilog,micron-electronic is not my major.When I was a undergraduate student,my major is Elecronic and Infmation Engneer.So,now,read this book is very hard for me.I also puzzled about the relation ship between this book and RTL design. Please help me,thanks!

Reply to
mynewlifever

Hi,

I use that book when having SoC Design course. I think that book tells you much about physical design of integrated circuit. The assignments I've got in that course is to do integrated circuit layout.

Designing in verilog or vhdl is top level approach. When either speed, power consumption, and area are critical, we have to understand how each building block is constructed. To do so, we need go to the lower levels, understand what topology is used

For instance, consider 12 bit adder. We don't even care what topology used when we design it using verilog/vhdl. The library has chosen what seems to be the best, and it would not be a problem as long as it function well. If some application requires speed that we can't achieve, we have to choose which topology suits out needs. There are several topology for adder: carry skip, etc. Different topology gives us different power consumption, processing speed, and area. Some are superior in speed, but have poor power consumption, some are best in area, but not in speed, and that sort of things. If the library doesn't give us such topology, we have to build it by our own.

Tanner EDA ver 11 would be a great tool to use for doing the layout, estimating the processing time, power consumption, etc.

Hope to help. Any comments are welcome.

Ivan

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.cn wrote:

Reply to
chris_ivan

Hi,chris_ivan Thank you for your response!What your have say is very useful for me. According to what your say,I think this book is very useful for layout disigner,not me. If I want do better in digital disign everyday,how can I do?Only writing code everyday is not a good method.Please give me some advice. I have an FPGA board with spartan,but I donot exactly know I can make what .Do what project,and how to do are always puzzled me. Please help me! Thank you! mynewlifever

Reply to
mynewlifever