How to read data from intel strata flash using microblaze?

Hello all, This is the first time i am working with Flash. Has anyone experienced with reading data from intel strata flash p30. I read the flash data-sheet and it says that in order to read array i need to write 0xFF to device base address. I didn't find the place where I insert the desire address to read from. can anyone explain me in simeple words what is the read or write sequence of the Flash.

My next step is to write a C code that impliments the procedures of reading and writing. I have an OPB_EMC. I have talked with xilinx support and the guy there told me not to use xio_in16 or xio_out16 with the opb_emc base address + offset. Does anyone know what instead??

so, thanks alot in advance.

Guy

Reply to
Guy_FPGA

Once the device is in read array mode (which it defaults to on power up or reset) simply assert the address you want to read on the address bus and read the data on the data bus (i.e. it's a normal memory device).

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

ok, say i have managed to program it.Do I read it using the emc as if it is a regular sram ? can i use the xio_in?

thanks

PeteS wrote:

Reply to
Guy_FPGA

Assuming you have successfully programmed the device, it's readable as a standard memory device. Check the timings; flash and sram are not quite the same although in most cases the same timings are adequate.

As to using your core, I can give you no advice without looking at the details. If this is a standard core, then no doubt others here who may have used it might be able to help.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

calling moose ... :) can someone give me an example of how to work with the opb_emc and write sequnce in c leng. ?????

thanks

PeteS wrote:

Reply to
Guy_FPGA