How to program a spartan-3

After I place/route the design and generate the *.bit file how can I download the *.bit file into Spartan-3. Which program should I use. I just bought the Spartan-3 starter kit from Xilinx and there is no instruction on how to bring the bitstream from my PC into the development board. What cable should I use to connect the PC to the development board. Is there any Web which explains in details about this process. The documentation which comes with the kit does not explain how to do this.

Thanks,

Jay

Reply to
jaypt

Hi Jay, 1) along with the kit you will receive a JTAG Cable (I received) which connects to the jtag connector (J7) and your pc parallel port. After hooking it up you can program by using impact. 2) In order to program the fpga use - your_project.bit file for programming the xilinx flash(XF02..) use your_project.mcs. programming procedure : a) power up the board and connect the programming cable between J7 (be careful with the polarity .. connect such that the names match on the cable and the connector match). b) now open impact software and right click and select Initialize chain(3rd item). c) the software will detect two devices (spartan - 1st from left and the second is xcf02); d) if you want to program the fpga then when spartan is highlighted select your_project.bit and after assigning the file right click on the fpga and selset program. e) if you want program the xilinx flash then select your_project.mcs and program f) this is quite rough description, just play around with board and you can figure it out!

any problems let me know.

regards rao

Reply to
pablo aimar

[snip...snip...]

Thanks for the post, rao. I'm not the OP but I've used enough development boards to know that what seems simple once you've done it is often not at all obvious on the first time through. It's looking like a rainy weekend here and I was planning to give that board a little workout, myself (should be fun).

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Hi Jay,

I was looking to purchase the Spartan-3 dev-board. I understand it comes with modelsim, is modelsim registered as a "time limited" product or "code size" ?

thanks atts

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
atts