How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

I downloaded 11.0_modelsim_ase_windows.exe from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/downloads/software/modelsim/121.html

Release Notes For ModelSim Altera 10.1b

                                 Apr 26 2012
               Copyright 1991-2012 Mentor Graphics Corporation
                            All rights reserved.

After installing the software, I cannot run it: Unable to checkout a licence. Modelsim-Altera uses the following environment variables to check the licence (listed in the order of preference)

1. MGLS_LICENCE_FILE
2. LM_LICENCE_FILE.

I don't know:
1. How to set the environment variables.

2. If the licence file is valid for me to free use?

Thank you.

Weng

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

Why are you using a 7 year old version?

Modelsim-Altera should run without a licence for suitably small designs.
However the older versions may have needed a licence server, which you
probably don't have.

Theo

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

You need older versions of the software to generate designs for older
chips, as the software drops support for older "obsolete" chips (even if
you can still buy them).

Even though it is listed as "free to use", you still need a license
file, which you can apply for and get for free on the Altera web site.

How to set the environment variables to point to the file you get will
depend on your operating system, but it generally will be in the control
panel.

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your response.

My project does not need any chip, but a concept project, to make sure it works without linking to any FPGA chip.

I will try to get a licence file based on your advice, and am trying to buy a commercial one.

Weng

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

May there be 3rd party FREE simulation tools in VHDL and Window 7/10 that are purely designed to do simulation only except Modelsim?

Thank you.

Weng

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?
GHDL is a free VHDL simulator.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Ghdl

Kevin

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for sharing the most important information. The problem is that I have no experience with Linux system.

Do you have any experiences with GHDL?

Weng

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?
I prefer Modelsim but I did try GHDL.  It works under Windows as well, which is what I used.

Kevin

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

Hi Kevin,

I registered an account in GitHub, and I found I missed and could not find GHDL in any version.

Could you please give me the website to download GitHub window version?

Thank you.

Weng

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

https://github.com/ghdl/ghdl/releases

Kevin

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

Hi Kevin,

Thank you very much !!!

I am not an experienced application user. Here I copied all related download file names from the website you suggested above:

ghdl-0.35-llvm-3.8-ubuntu14.tgz            14.1 MB
ghdl-0.35-llvm-macosx.tgz        12.2 MB
ghdl-0.35-mcode-fedora26.tgz        2.83 MB
ghdl-0.35-mcode-macosx.tgz        2.26 MB
ghdl-0.35-mcode-stretch.tgz        2.93 MB
ghdl-0.35-mcode-ubuntu14.tgz        3.15 MB
ghdl-0.35-mcode-windows.installer.ps1    6.19 MB
ghdl-0.35-mcode-windows.zip        2.31 MB
ghdl-0.35-mingw32-mcode.zip        3.05 MB
ghdl-0.35-mingw64-llvm.zip        12.7 MB
ghdl-gpl-0.35-mcode.tgz                2.61 MB
Source code                (zip)
Source code                (tar.gz)
Download statistics:

Do I have to download all listed files into one holder of Window 10, run ghdl-0.35-mcode-windows.installer.ps1 and that's all?

Thank you.

Weng

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

<snip>

Why not use the Windows executables?
   http://ghdl.free.fr/site/pmwiki.php?n=Main.Download

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Hi Mike,

I am so happy to have your post:
The reason "Why not use the Windows executables" is that I don't know its existence!!!

I will immediately download it and try it. I will fully focus on using GHDL and debugging all my VHDL code, and will soon share any experiences with GHDL I will have.

It is really a happy ending for my post.

Thank you everybody for responding to my post.

Weng

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

Help is needed.

I download from https://github.com/ghdl/ghdl/releases
Windows X86 (MinGW64), LLVM, 12.7MB, ghdl-0.35-mingw64-llvm.zip

I extract all files, that generates 2 bin file as application: ghdl1-llvm and ghdl. I didn't see install.exe. I clicked either of them, no application was running.

Thank you.

Weng

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

Did you run the executable linked from the URL in my earlier post?
   http://ghdl.free.fr/ghdl-installer-0.29.1.exe

From:
Binary distributions
GHDL for Windows

Since May 2006, there is a pre-built version of windows. This is a
command-line only version, almost like the Linux version. You can
download the installer, and execute it to install GHDL.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd
Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

Hi Mike,

I downloaded ghdl-installer-0.29.1, and run it again. A window was popped up, saying: You already have GHDL 0.29.1 installed. Deinstall?

What should I do?

Weng

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

It depends on your goals which I can only speculate about.  But here are a few directions you can go based on different assumptions...

On the assumption that you installed GHDL for the purposes of running the GHDL program to process some VHDL design, I would normally suggest that you run the GHDL program.  But since you seem to require step by step instructions,
- Read the documentation for how to run the GHDL program
- Explore your hard disk to see where the GHDL program has been stored
- Find the location on your hard disk where you have stored your VHDL file(s)
- Using your knowledge gained from the previous steps, run the GHDL program on your VHDL files

On the assumption that you installed GHDL for the purposes of having someone else do something, then hire someone to do the work.

On the assumption that you installed GHDL for no purpose at all I would suggest you uninstall the program to free up the disk space.

On the assumption that you installed GHDL for the purposes of filling up your disk, I would suggest you format your hard drive.

Good luck!

Kevin

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

Kevin,

I even don't see any text file showing up after my download, not mention "Read the documentation for how to run the GHDL program"

No GHDL application start to work, how do I start debugging with it.

Mike,

Please help.

I download from https://github.com/ghdl/ghdl/releases
Windows X86 (MinGW64), LLVM, 12.7MB, ghdl-0.35-mingw64-llvm.zip

I extract all files, that generates 2 bin file as application: ghdl1-llvm and ghdl. I didn't see install.exe. I clicked either of them, no application was running.

I downloaded ghdl-installer-0.29.1, and run it again. A window was popped up, saying: You already have GHDL 0.29.1 installed. Deinstall?

What should I do?

Thank you.

Weng

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

Does Google not work for you?  Maybe try http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ghdl+tutorial and read from some of the more interesting links that you can find there.

Kevin

Re: How to make Altera-Modelsim free download version to work?

Hi Kevin,

This method really helps me. Sometimes I really need people's help, this time you really give me help. There are huge information there to teach me how to start GHDL.

Of cause I will make contribution to further improve its quality and share my experiences with other people here.

Than you.

Weng

Site Timeline