How to interface ASIC on a PCB and and an FPGA

Hi, I have a custom ASIC and I would like to interface this with my XUP V2P (Xilinx VII Pro) board. I am new to using the Xilinx boards. Please suggest a simple way to generate a clock from the FPGA and few synchronised control signals with this clock. I have to feed the clock and the control signals to ASIC. Basically the FPGA is acting as a controller for the ASIC (The ASIC is on a simple PCB, The ASIC is implemented using 0.12 micron libraries and run at 1.2 V).

Here is how my perceived test setup looks like.

FPGA XUP V2P --> Clk and Control Signals for ASIC --> ASIC | --> Oscilloscope for tracking signals

Please suggest a simpler method as I am just starting a project with the FPGA. I would be very thankful for any help.

Reply to
Biswajit Mishra

Hi, i think u should clkout pin for verification.

Reply to
kulkarku

Hi.

For the begining, the approach you described is fine (later you might want to read out the signals from your asic to the fpga, process them, etc.). From engineering point of view, just be careful with signal driving. I.e. use dedicated pins for clocks (check the xilinx manual), check the impidance of the connection path (in some cases you might want to place a pulling resistor, etc. etc.). Regards Alex

Reply to
Alex