How to get *.mcs file containing both *.bit and *.elf file, to port linux on my memec virtex-ii board.

Hello

I have 'Virtex II pro FF1152 board, Rev.3' made by Memec design.

I read the document 'Getting Started with EDK and Montavista Linux'.

And I followed the directives in the document. but I had a trouble.

In the document, I should generate ACE file in the XPS like below

$ xmd -tcl genace.tcl -jprog -board ml300 -hw implementation/download.bit

-elf ../linux/arch/ppc/boot/images/zImage.embedded -ace top.ace

But, I don't have System ACE module. Only what i have is 4MByte ATMEL AT45DB321B flash memory.

To download something in this flash memory, I should have '*.mcs' file made by iMPACT.

Could tell me how could I make *.mcs file instead of *.ace file.

Of course, I know how to make *.mcs file from download.bit file using iMPACT.

But I want to know how can I make *.mcs file including both download.bit and zImage.embedded files.

Thank you ahead.

Beomseok Lee from South Korea

Reply to
beomseok,lee

hint: try the tool "SRecord". A powerfull tool set for manipulating and join eprom/flash images:

man srec_cat

For manipulating & import object files like platform specific ELFs take look on objcopy - it is part of the GNU binutils. Can produce a memory dump of (selected) contents of the input object file.

man objcopy

WD

Reply to
Walter Dvorak

Hello,

there is a method described as part of the UltraController-II Reference Design

see

a similar method in application note xapp694

Holger

Reply to
Holger Nissle