How to direct download to SRAM on Xilinx Spartan3?

Hello, I'm Ricky, an Italian student in eln eng. I'm working with a Xilinx Spartan3, I've designed a project that calculate a 12bit fft. The core reads data (in serial mode) from the ISSI 1M RAM block, calculates the fft, and then writes the results in an other zone of the memory. My problem is to put the initial data into the memory (from my pc) and read them at the end, to verify if the fft works! I knew that XESS corp. provides programs for their boards that permit to easily download and upload data to/from the RAM, but what about DIGILENT-XILINX boards? Do you know if there's a program that could help me?

Please, help me, I'm working on a thesis, and I have no more time!!!.... Heeeeelp!!!

Reply to
Riccardo Fregonese

Hi Riccardo, to solve this problem you have at least two options:

1) you can add an UART and a simple controller to your design, so you can download data in the SRAM, start/stop the FFT module, and read back the results. 2) you can create a separate configuration for reading and writing the SRAM, and reconfigure the FPGA with it before and after you use the FFT configuration. During reconfiguration data is retained into the external SRAM. (Xess boards use a similar method). If you decide to use the RS232 interface you need just the Windows Hyperterminal program to communicate.

A.D.

Reply to
Antonio Di Stefano