How to digitize the VGA output using FPGA?

I would like to know if there is a development kit and documentation
available to digitize the VGA siganls to create the a digital video
fram using FPGA.

I see lot of fpga applications that generate VGA output but I am
looking for an application that can take VGA input.  This may require
external A/D converters.

Thanks.

Re: How to digitize the VGA output using FPGA?
3D%anal...

Thanks for the link.  More importantly, is there FPGA development
board with this analog chips that I can use for development purposes?

Ideally I am looking for a board that can take in 15 pin VGA connector
as input.  This iis analog RGB signs get converted into 24 bit digital
output and is fed to the FPGA with DDR3 interface.

Re: How to digitize the VGA output using FPGA?

There hardware from bittec/altera at this link that takes in DVI 29
pin connector.  It seems to include analog RGB signal inputs also.  So
in that case DVI connector is superset of VGA connector And this
particular board can digitize the VGA video. In other words I should
be able to use this board as a reference board.  Does that make sense?

http://www.bitec.ltd.uk/hsmc_dvi_1080p_csc_c120.pdf

Thanks for your help.

Re: How to digitize the VGA output using FPGA?

I would strongly avoid the digitizing process if you can. If it is
acceptable for you to work with digital (DVI/HDMI or Displayport), I would
recommend that. The process of correctly digitizing an analogue video signal
is hard to get right because finding the correct sampling frequency and
phase is difficult and often a manual process. Some of the problems you will
meet (especially at higher VGA resolution) are:
-sampling frequency can not be directly decided without visual trial and
failure
-digitizing phase is cable length sensitive
-bad SNR (pixels are not square at analogue level. Transmission lines are
more critical than for analogue viewing).

Re: How to digitize the VGA output using FPGA?

there are some Boards available from Xilinx. e.g. the ML506.
This board provides the 15pin VGA in and a DVI-I for output purposes
(Analog & Digital).

Of course, this board is not cheap.

Have a nice synthesis
  Eilert