How to create an EDIF file from ISE Foundation?

Hi all,

  I have installed ISE Foundation (6.2.03) and tried to generate an
EDIF file from a Verilog file. I remember I could do it a few years
ago with 4.x version (not sure).

  I need to install something special?

  Anyway, what happens if the design has parameters? The EDIF file
allow it?

  Thanks in advance, Santiago.

Re: How to create an EDIF file from ISE Foundation?

synthesize your design with xst and then use ngc2edif.exe from command line
to translate the *.ngc netlist to EDIF format.

Another option is to run the 'translate' (ngdbuild) step after synthesis and
then use ngd2edif.exe from command line.

/Michael

Re: How to create an EDIF file from ISE Foundation?
ngc2edif.exe is for simulation only and is the same as the xst edifngc
paramter. ISE 4 was the last version to include the ability to compile to
EDIF. The good thing is that you don't need it. Do this: put the ngc file in
the same directory you're running NGDBuild on your EDIF file. Include in
your EDIF file the cell interface declaration only. (You can cut this from
the file ngc2edif generated.) If you have an EDIF cell interface declaration
that is not a primitive, Xilinx will look for a file of the same name in a
compiled format in the current directory and automatically merge that in.

line
and

Re: How to create an EDIF file from ISE Foundation?

Thanks Michael, it works fine. The generated file was a NDF, so I
renamed it to EDF and use it as a black box in other designs.

Any advices about parameters? May I use the black box with parameters
or I must generate an EDF for each combination of them?

Regards, Santiago.

Site Timeline