How to choose FPGA/CPLD ?

Hi, I am a beginner in the vlsi industry.I am having a doubt.Whenever we are starting soem project work,how can we decide how much gates,logic will be required to implement the design?and which family should be used? Beacuse how can we come to know this information before actual starting the design phase?

Reply to
kulkarku

Actually, you cannot, except in very trivial cases. You need to know the tools anyway, so get them, test them and from them get some estimate on how many macrocells you need.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

ok,that's right. but whenever we are making some project proposal,we don't know how complex will this design/code?then what r the steps to identify the proper CPLD/FPGA?

Reply to
kulkarku

If you are making a project proposal then take your best guess based upon experience and bias the guess high. If you have not experience to draw from, well then you have a problem. If this isn't good enough and you require an exact answer then you will probably have to go ahead and implement the logic in the tools and see what size devices it requires. Unfortunately, I know of no magic to tell you how many gates you are going to require.

Regarding CPLD / FPGA, in generall FPGAs are a lot larger than CPLDs and can have a lot higher density per dollar. CPLDs, however are usually flash based so that they don't require a bootup time / sequence and a configuration method. Lastly, CPLDs tend to be more of an AND/OR array strucutre while FPGAs utilize a ram lookup with a mux architecture. Consequently one may take more or less resources based upon the design.

Reply to
Noway2

Ok, you can equate one macrocell to one flipflop plus some lookuptable. Logic combinations are done in the lookup tables and the registered stuff are the flipflops.

So, a 32bit counter takes 32 flipflops. If the counter has to auto reload when it is down, then add 32 flipflops for the latching.

What did you have in mind ? an FPU ? Fourier transform ?

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar