How feasible is a SoC project?

I'm just an undergrad student, but I am interested in getting started in some FPGA projects. I would really like to some day build up a usable SoC system to play with. OpenCores.org has been fun site to read through. I envision something with a RISC core, ethernet, usb (HID) and some sort of vga/lvds/dvi. What would be the best way to get started? Can you recommend some software and a EVB for someone learning the basics but wanting to expand over time? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Pepper Orlando

Symon

Hi,

The Spartan-3 board is designed by Digilent

They have a few peripheral boards you can add on to it, like additional memory, USB2, or Ethernet interface.

I have an old Spartan 2 board from them and got now an USB2 interface for it. The interface connectors are the same, so I can use that interface with the new Spartan-3 board offered via Xilinx as well.

Like their concept about the interface, though the board gets big when you add all the peripherals on the outside of it.

Guenter

Reply to
Guenter Dannoritzer