How can I find out the input/output interface of SDR SDRAM Kingston KVR100X64C2/128?

All I can find is a one-page specification of "Kingston KVR100X64C2/128", but I do not know about the input and output interface of this SDRAM, e.g., what are the input and output signals, and how the input and output signals are wired into each Synchronous DRAM (Infineon HYB39S128800CT-8) module. Many thanks, -Wei

Reply to
Wei Wang

Hi, Go to Infineon or Micron, or Samsung to search for similar SDRAM chips.

Kingston is not a chip manufacture, but a DIMM manufacture.

All SDRAM chips are almost same with Micron having the tighest requirements.

You may print Micron 128800CT-8 SDRAM to see if there is a document over there. Maybe they are all out of date.

Weng

Reply to
Weng Tianxiang

A good source for DIMM data is JEDEC. On their website, jedec.org, you can find standard connections for all standard DIMM types. If you know the type of chip and number of chips on your module you can generally narrow down the choices to one JEDEC standard.

Their website is a little hard to navigate, but the search feature generally gets you to the information you need, and all of the standards include reference schematics so you can see the chip connections.

HTH, Gabor

Reply to
Gabor

Thanks Tianxiang and Gabor for your inputs, but I was a little confused with the description in Kingston KVR100X64C2/128 "The components on this module include sixteen 8M x 8-bit (2M x 8-bit x 4 Bank / PC100 components) SDRAM in TSOP packages", but when I look at Infineon HYB39S128800CT-8, the chip has four banks inside, each bank is 8 bits wide with 4M address, so each chip is 4Mx8bitx4, which is 16MB. As the Kingston is 128 MB big and it has 8 Infineon chips fitted, so I don't see why the KVR specification says the module contains sixteeen 8Mx8-bit SDRAM. Should it be 8 16Mx8-bit SDRAM, then I could not find this in JEDEC standard while I could find the JEDEC standard for sixteen 8Mx8bit? Could somebody give me some hints on this, thanks!!!

Reply to
Wei Wang

The data sheet also notes:

"Note: The module defined in this data sheet is one of several configurations available under this part number. While all configurations are compatible, the DRAM combination and/or the module height may vary from what is described here."

I'm not sure what they consider "compatible" in the case of modules with different memory organizations under the same part number, but I also noticed that they offer "Free Technical Support".

Perhaps someone at Kingston can address the issue?

Regards, Gabor

Reply to
Gabor

Many thanks again for your input, I've called Kingston US support line yesterday, but I was told that they could not provide anything in more detail beyond the one-page specification found on their website. I've however managed to find something very similar, such as the Samsung KMM366S1723T datasheet which provides a better view of chip organization.

Reply to
Wei Wang

The signals are pretty similar in either Samsung or Kingston, but I'm not entirely sure with the chip select signals. Just wondering whether the select signals should be the same for sdrams with same number of chips.

Reply to
Wei Wang

signals,

Synchronous

The chip select should be the same for the same total number of data bits, i.e. # of chips times # bits per chip. If there is only enough for one bank (or DIMM "side" as it is sometimes called) only the first chip select is used. When the total number of data pins is twice the DIMM data width ("two-sided" DIMM) both chip selects are used.

Reply to
Gabor

signals,

Synchronous

Thanks for mentioning "bank". I found Figure 4.5.4-J in JEDEC DIMM standards (X64 SDRAM DIMM, 1 Bank with X8 SDRAM)

Reply to
Wei Wang