Hope for OS X tools...

Apple at to switch to using Intel procesors, presumably x86, for Macs.

Perhaps a light is in sight for the groups reccouring question of 'EDA tools on OS X?'

Even if the FPGA tool vendors still chose not to port their tools to the Mac, x86 linux should run at near full speed under ~virtualisation, much like User Mode Linux. Might be a PITA to setup, but...

Here's hoping...

--
cds
Reply to

Don't hold your breath. When I think EDA, I think Sun, HP, Linux and to a lesser extent Windows NT/2K/XP. It would be cool, but no. As far as x86 Linux apps on OS X, I wouldn't even bother. If you can get a Intel based Mac, you can get a cheaper Linux box.

-Chris

c d saunter wrote:

Reply to
chrisbw

Wasn't the whole point of moving to OS-X to run on a G5 processor?

Reply to
Gabor

No. OS X runs on G3s (PowerPC 750) and G4s (PowerPC 74xx) as well.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

I'd keep an eye on MOL or Mac on Linux. It allows any PPC box (Apple or otherwise) that runs a PPC Linux to run OSX in a window with little loss in perf.

Now moving the open source MOL back to x86 with std out of the box OSX with x86 code would allow any x86 Linux box to do the same.

I think pandoras box just got opened, not sure if Apple can close it.

johnjakson at usa dot com

Reply to
JJ