Holding in output registers

Hi,

does QuartusII version 5.0 SP1 implement a holding function in output registers ?

If it does not, how can I solve the following example if I want to place "ls_data_out" in output registers ?

... ARCHITECTURE example OF XY IS

BEGIN

Data_out

Reply to
ALuPin

Hi,

does QuartusII version 5.0 SP1 implement a holding function in output registers ?

If it does not, how can I solve the following example if I want to place "ls_data_out" in output registers ?

... ARCHITECTURE example OF XY IS

BEGIN

Data_out

Reply to
ALuPin

There's no need for the "if no condition keep the value" assignment. The semantics of the clocked process that creates a flip-flop means that it's redundant.

"condition='1'" synthesizes to a clock enable whose effect is to gate the rising edge of the clock. (Of course on an FPGA, the clock enable is really a mux select -- look up "recirculating mux").

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

Hi Andy,

your answer does not really answer my question. Independently of whether I use the redudant assignment in my VHDL or not

the holding of the D-flip flop is the problem. Is it possible to fit it into an output register ?

Rgds Andr=E9

Reply to
ALuPin

The problem is not with Quartus but with the component you will use, of which you don't tell us anything.

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Matringe

Nicolas Matringe schrieb:

CycloneI EP1C12

Reply to
ALuPin

Hello Andre,

Cyclone has clock enable on the I/O registers. You can see it in Fig

2-32 of the data sheet, as well as references to it in figure 2-30 & 2-31, and the description is between figures 2-31 & 2-32.

Hope this helps, Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta

Hi Subroto,

thank you for the link.

Does that mean that the OE Register holds its value if clock enable is inactive ?

If so, is the clock enable "generated" automatically by Quartus when using the VHDL description above? Or do I have to instantiate an output register which includes clock enable as input port?

Rgds Andr=E9

Reply to
ALuPin

Could it even make sense to describe the clock enable on my own and NOT to let the fitter recognize it automatically ? Could that have some performance advantages ?

Rgds Andr=E9

Reply to
ALuPin