Help on clock forwarding with Virtex-5

Hi,

(Sorry that if I sent this more than once. Somehow, my email client just doesn't function well.)

I'm new to FPGA world and currently working on an emulation board with 2 Virtex-5. I think to forward clock from chip A to chip B. Is that possible to make these 2 clocks synchronous ? What kind of steps, components and constraints need to be done to ensure the synchronous between these 2 FPGAs. The clock frequency is about 50-100 MHz range.

My current scheme is as following, but doesn't work properly. Any help is appreciated.

On FPGA A,

  1. A clock, APP_CLK (200 MHz), comes out of a DCM, which is used to mange the receiving clock from off-chip DDR2 DIMM.

  1. APP_CLK drives another DCM for clock synthesis of 100 MHz and 50 MHz. The feedback of this DCM is from the output of DCM itself, which may be an issue.

  2. Takes the 100 MHz clock to an ODDR primitive (Dedicated IOB double data rate output registers). This is suggested by Xilinx Vitex-5 User Guide.

  1. forward this clock to FPGA B.

on FPGA B,

  1. use IBUG, DCM and BUFG to generate the synchronous clock.

My concern is:

  1. The 2 FPGAs don't have knowledge about each other. How does these two clock synchronize to each other ?

  1. I put huge clock uncertainty (4 ns) with INPUT_JITTER. I hope this will compensate the latency on board.

  2. What IO standard and PAD's constraints is suitable for this?

One background that why I didn't choose board clock source to distribute 2 FPGAS is because we want the 100 MHz clocks of both FPGAs synchronized to APP_CLK.

Appreciate any help in advance.

Chris Kuo @ Austin, Texas

Reply to
Kuo