Help needed

Hi considering me a novice. I have a very basic question. How can i connect multiple user IPs to a shared memory on FPGA. I am using Xilinx Virtex 4 FX FPGA and want to have a common memory place on chip where i can save all the signal comming from out side. This common place will also be used to share the output signal between the custom IP. I am planning to use BRAM for this purpose but since BRAM is dual port so i can have only two of the IP attached to it at any time. Please advice me since this issue is halting my design process. I also want to attach the processor to that shared memory so it can also share the signals with rest of user logic residing on FPGA. I am using on chip processor PowerPC405.

Thanks

Faraz

Reply to
faraz.khan

Step one is to instance the synthesis modules into a schematic or hdl source file and wire them up.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

What you need is a mux. A mux is a piece of hardware which take all the outputs from all IPs and forwards only one of them to its output based on a control signal so that you can write that value to the memory. Of course the control signal should be wide enough so that you can indicate all the inputs ie if you have 8 input, you need a 3 bit control signal. You also need to tell each IP block that their output is consumed and you can accomplish that with decoding the control signal and using the decoded values to enable each IP block (or use it as a read signal etc.)

HTH.

Do i need to make any interface controller to connect the address and data lines from the IP to mux or its direct connection to mux

Reply to
faraz.khan