Help for Altera Nios II Cyclone EP1C12 evaluation kit!

Hello out there!

I have purchased an Altera Nios II Cyclone based (EP1C12F324) evalution kit a while ago and didn't get to work with until recently. At first I was happy to see how quickly I got the board up and running and interacting with my PC through an Ethernet LAN and serving web pages using the uClinux on-board http server.

Having had enough of the demo I started developping an application of my own. I first downloaded (via the USB cable connector that provides a USB Blaster interface) a very simple code file to start flashing the LEDs. When that didn't work, I simplified the code to an even simpler test case where only one LED was involved. After that not even working, I started combing through the documentation in search for some clues. This is when I noticed a lot of little discrepencies between the real board and the document set.

To this day, I still haven't been able to get a simple LED to flash (not even once). I am getting a bit impatient with the whole thing and might just go back to a Xilinx board that is sitting around my ofice. Before I do that, I would like to know if any one out there has played with this board and might have some hints for me.

Thanks in advance for any tid bits.

P.S. When I download the code to the board using the Quartus II (6.0sp1), the download program seems all happy and returns with a "SUCCESS" message at the end of the process. The board on the other end always contains the same NiosII implementation running uClinux!!! Could it be that after the JTAG load is complete the FPGA resets and simply reloads the default application from the on-board configuration deice?

Reply to
Jack Zkcmbcyk

Hi Jack, This post may be useful:

It deals with setting up Unused Pins for your projecs to the correct value.

Hope this helps, Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta

Hello Subroto!

That article did it. I was able to revise my simple project, load it and got my LED to start flashing. Thanks a lot.

Jack Zkcmbcyk