Help - DDS Control in Virtex II

Hi All,

I am not looking for an easier answer (unless one wants to offer it :-)) as I am looking for a good source to learn from or a place to begin looking for answers. I have a Xilinx Virtex II as part of the Xilinx ExtremeDSP Kit and I am building a digital mixer as my first step in learning. My problem is this: I need a program written in C++ to have control of the DDS frequency running in the FPGA. I need to find an answer such as where is the memory or register location going to be set in the fpga? Or, specific information about how to use the ZBT ram as an interface between a C program and the DDS? I am also using Xilinx System Generator if anyone is familiar with it. Thanks for any pointers or information sources.

Jonathan snipped-for-privacy@tamu.edu

Reply to
jonathan

:-))

looking

running

it.

I don't know anything about the ExtremeDSP Kit, but generally speaking you need to do the following:

  1. Instantiate your DDS core in your design;
  2. Add some registers that will be used for storing DDS parameters and connect them to the DDS core;
  3. Organize access to those registers from your host interface side (is it PCI?);
  4. Write your own or find an off-the-shelf kernel OS driver (such as Windriver) that will talk to your board at the low level;
  5. Write your C++ app that will talk to the board through the driver.

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM