Hardcopy Vs ASIC

I was going through the hard copy product from altera. Methodology seems really promising. I just wonder where hard copy products stands as compare to ASIC wrt performance, power, yield & Time to market

Reply to
digari

Dig,

glad to hear you like the look of the methodology. Regarding your question, then it rather depends on whether you are talking vs standard-cell ASIC, or Structured ASIC. All Structured ASICs have a larger die size and less ultimate performance than standard-cell ASICs. However, they make up for this (for the majority of applications) by offering much lower NREs, lower minimum order quantities, reduced risk and better time-to-market. For the current version of HardCopy that is shipping today (HardCopy Stratix - based on the same 0.13um process we use for Stratix FPGAs), then the only really meaningful performance figure I can give you is that we tend to find an average of 50% speed up from the Stratix FPGA. We have seen typical system speeds over

150MHz, though with pipelining, you could achieve more. Power is lower than the FPGA, typically 25-40% or so. Last month we announced the next generation, HardCopy II, based on the same 90nm process we are using for the Stratix II and Cyclone II FPGAs. This will increase performance significantly, typically doubling what is possible on the FPGA. We expect "real" system performance figures of 350MHz. Power will also be lower and we expect core figures of 50-70% lower than the FPGA.

By yield, I assume you really mean cost. The die-size of any chip is of course what dominates the cost and in the case of Structured ASICs such as HardCopy, the die-size is larger than a fully optimised standard cell ASIC. However, the NRE charge will significantly lower and you therefore need to look at the total cost. For HardCopy Stratix, we tend to find above volumes of 50K-100K, standard cell ASIC tends to work out more cost effective, though we have seen some memorable exceptions where customers have gone well over these volumes, usually because time-to-market matters a lot more. Because HardCopy II is significantly more die-size optimised, (and because ASIC NREs are continuing to increase) we expect that the volumes at which break-even makes sense will increase significantly, to somewhere between 250K-500K units per year.

So coming to time-to-market, Structured ASICs in general are typically far faster to market than standard cell ASICs, because so much of the back-end work is already done. HardCopy is a lot faster than any other structured ASIC because we guarantee the migration from a working FPGA to the HardCopy device. The typical turnaround time to protos is 10 weeks, including the migration in our design center and the fab and assembly time.

If you're interested in learning more and can spare 40 mins to an hour, (and can forgive a blatant plug), we did a Net Seminar on this last week which includes information on the latest version - HardCopy II. You can look at it here. (Registration required)

I hope this helps answer your question.

Regards, Paul Holl> I was going through the hard copy product from altera. Methodology

Reply to
Paul Hollingworth

Dig,

You really must listen to their presentation (completely).

For example, they do not recommend using S2 to prototype today for H2.

Prototyping with their FPGA means that there will be conversion issues that may affect the outcome. They admit this, and wish you to succeed, so they want to train you how to avoid problems. That is just good business.

By their own figures, somewhere between 16% and 70% of conversions will 'suceed". (Or somewhere from 30 to 84% will FAIL).

(With EasyPath (XIlinx tm), they all succeed, and the cost is less, and the availability is immediate...but you are not interested in FPGAs, so I apologize for this digression).

With H or H2, it is just another ASIC, slightly larger, less optimal, but an ASIC none the less.

'Faster' is not usable, as there is no way to verify that 'faster' will actually work. (In fact one high profile customer failed miserably because it was 'faster'!) Count on designing it for the speed you need, and making sure that if some delays are shorter than those in the FPGA, it will still work.

That said, for 2005, there are an estimated 1000 ASICs out there that need to be designed by the 11 vendors who do this (IBM, NEC, etc.). Most in 130 nm or larger (as perhaps only 3 to 5 of these will be rich enough to afford 90nm). Structured ASICs are expected to capture a significant (you figure out what that means - 10% or 90%? Who knows?) share of this market this year primarily because they allow advanced technologies (like 90nm) to be used.

'A' claims that are getting a design a week. 52/1000 =~ 5% of the designs. That might be a lot of the $20 billion market for those 1000 designs...

For example, LSI is advertising that their structured ASIC solution is more cost effective, and has a faster delivery that the A company's offering.

That is a real tribute to the 'A' company: LSI considers them serious competition! And, they are, as they are atempting to take LSI's bread, and butter from them.

That makes the 'A' company an ASIC company (as they move forward and start to derive revenue from this market).

Sad to see the only viable competitor leaving the field....for "greener grass" on the other side of the fence.

Aust> Dig,

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Here is my, admittedly simplistic, look at the difference between X and A.

Xilinx (EasyPath) wants to provide you with a significant cost reduction, while eliminating any conversion issues and risks, for a seamless transition from FPGA to EasyPath.

Altera (Hardcopy) wants to provide an ASIC that is somehow based on your FPGA design, but does not guarantee painless (or even successful) conversion. (If successful, the power might be lower.)

As Austin wrote, this moves Altera into the ASIC business, something Xilinx does not want to touch with a ten-foot pole. Been there, done that, didn't like it at all. Just look at all the casualties...

Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

(snip)

(snip)

As far as I know, for synchronous design and zero hold time FFs, designs should still work with faster logic. (Not counting interaction with external logic that may not be synchronous.)

There is still the case of different speed grades within an FPGA family, and tolerance within the speed grade. I always check for zero hold time FF's in any new logic family that I use.

(snip)

In days not so long ago there was "sea of gates", also known as gate array, then standard cell, and then full custom. For sea of gates, more accurately as I understood it sea of transistors, only the metal layers were custom for the design, reducing mask costs. I don't know if that still exists or not.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

For me it really doesn't matter whether the solution is ASIC (hardcopy) or FPGA (Easypath) because both are not (re)configurable.

But i see a performance and power gain in using hardcopy solution, which is welcome in most of the cases. On the other hand immediate availability of easypath solution is a plus because structured ASIC/FPGA user is always TTM hungry.

will

this is what will increase the cost of hardcopy solution.

So a direct question: If the volume is 30K-to -50K, who will be cheaper ?? Hardcopy or easypath ???

An indirect question: What is the volume range where hadrcopy is cheaper and what is the volume range where easypath is cheaper, if I don't consider TTM and power/performance gains.

-- Digari

Reply to
digari

Digari,

EasyPath can also be reconfigured: IO, LUTs, DCMs, global resources are

100% tested on every part. So if you are clever, you could change your design by changing those items that are 100% tested (like the LUT). We call this the ECO feature. You may at some time in the future change those 100% tested items, and be guaranteed that they will function (with no test program changes, and no added cost to you).

Performance gains are elusive, and I do not consider that they can be utilized without a lot of risk.

I think that quite frankly, if either makes sense, EasyPath wins the $ issue for the larger devices, and H1 or H2 would win for smaller devices. That is basically because EasyPath takes advantage of the fact that large devices have a huge amount of redundancy (tons of resources) that allow us to choose those parts that have fully working resources for the particular customer's design and save a ton of $ on test time testing the part for one design instead of anyone's design, whereas the smaller devices do not have the same statistical benefit, and test time is not as long either, meaning EasyPath for small parts does not allow us the have the same cost savings as a custom chip.

EasyPath also has a 2 for 1 special: in order to increase volume, or for your own test purposes, we will check the parts for 2 working patterns.

Contact your Rep or FAE for details.

Aust> For me it really doesn't matter whether the solution is ASIC (hardcopy)

Reply to
Austin Lesea

"Austin Lesea" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cvg93s$ snipped-for-privacy@cliff.xsj.xilinx.com...

There can be only ONE!!!

Regards Falk

P.S. FPGA meet Highlander ;-)

Reply to
Falk Brunner

"Austin Lesea" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cvib32$ snipped-for-privacy@cliff.xsj.xilinx.com...

So far so good. But how is it handled by the software, especially P&R?? OK, I could write tons of LOCs to lock out the not tested logic. But what about routing?

Regards Falk

Reply to
Falk Brunner

Dig,

As I recall, you were asking about HardCopy versus ASIC and I attempted to provide a reasonably balanced answer to that. The recent posts by Xilinx in this thread are simply FUD. I have no idea where this concept that "30-84% will fail" comes from - this is nonsense.

The whole point of HardCopy is that we guarantee that the devices will work. Because the underlying structure of the logic is different in HardCopy, we have a comprehensive tool flow that highlights anything that a user should not do in the FPGA. The reason for this is that we are optimising for die area, and so the functionality of the FPGA is a superset of the HardCopy.

Xilinx believes that the Structured ASIC market will not amount to anything, (and we hope they continue to believe this). Meanwhile, they offer EasyPath, which is a way of taking defective silicon which has failed final test and recycling it to see if the defects won't matter in your design. I have yet to meet a customer who thinks this sounds like a good idea. Note that this is a different approach from the properly planned use of redundancy which deliberately builds in additional resources up-front, which can be switched in if needed.

On the performance issue, HardCopy devices will indeed be faster. Provided the designer has planned for this, it is of course a benefit. The tools will tell you how much faster the HC devices will be so that you can plan for it. This is not the same as a race hazard. EasyPath offers no performance improvement, no power improvement and the same need for configuration, so that you can't get rid of the config device. (This is frequently an issue for companies planning to make their own ASSPs).

Regarding the cost equation, there is no way that EasyPath can make sense, simply from the die-size perspective. Here's a concrete example. Imagine a large FPGA (from either vendor), 20mmx20mm. The gross die per wafer on a 200mm wafer would be 56. Typical yield, calculated on the basis of generic formulae would give a yield of 20 die per wafer. But let's give Xilinx a LOT of credit and assume they can salvage all the defective die on the wafer so that there are 56 die they can sell. Now let's compare the situation with an equivalent HardCopy. I'll take a relatively low die-size reduction figure of 66%, which gives us a die size of 12x11mm. The gross die per wafer is now 199, and let's take a typical net die per wafer figure assuming an average yield in 0.13um. This gives us a NDW figure of 143.

So in the absolute BEST case for Xilinx, they get 56 die versus the 143 we get, for a wafer which costs the same to produce. That's the production cost. To get the overall cost, you have to then factor in the NRE and amortise that across your volume.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul Hollingworth

If the LUTs are 100% tested, and the config RAM must be 100% tested, then a designer could deploy their own (thorough) Power On Test, to verify full operation, should they have a more radical ECO. More than one P&R iteration could be available, to decrease the chance of a failure....

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Falk,

You do not get to change routing. Only LUTs and other 100% tested structures.

Aust> "Austin Lesea" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Jim,

We do not test 100% of the BRAM. We only test that which is used.

Aust> Falk Brunner wrote:

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Two clarifications; Paul H. wrote "EasyPath, which is a way of taking defective silicon which has failed final test and recycling it to see if the defects won't matter in your design. I have yet to meet a customer who thinks this sounds like a good idea. Note that this is a different approach from the properly planned use of redundancy which deliberately builds in additional resources up-front, which can be switched in if needed. "

I fail to see the difference. Both approaches assume that a localized defect has no general impact if it is in an area not used by the specific design. Any different evaluation must be strictly emotional. Use engineering common sense instead!

More important is the cost analysis of, 56 (or really 36) EasyPath die vs 143 Hardcopy die coming from a wafer. (Let me just use Paul's numbers) In Paul's mind this is a big advantage for Altera. In reality, it is a big burden.

Altera must run and pay for an extra wafer for those 143 die, while Xilinx gets the 36 (or whatever) die "for free", since the wafer is already paid for by the normal FPGAs.

Xilinx does not run extra wafers for EasyPath, until that business reaches a similar volume as the normal FPGA volume. Xilinx FPGAs are manufactured in very large volume (hundreds of thousands of devices per working day), and there should be no lack of candidates for EasyPath. It's all a matter of testing and logistics, and we are good at that... EasyPath is a win-win proposition for the customer and for Xilinx.

Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Dig,

I have recently evaluated EasyPath, Hardcopy II, and LSI's structured ASICs. Here are my observations:

EasyPath: EasyPath did not offer a sufficient reduction in cost per piece as compared with Altera or LSI. But the real show-stopper is that EasyPath for the Virtex-4 parts will not come in the fastest speed grade.

Hardcopy II: Reasonable NRE, and huge reduction in cost per piece as compared to Stratix II costs. In addition, Altera claims 50% speed-up in a typical design. I have several big gotchas though. First, Hardcopy II has no M512 RAMs, so if you proto with SII, you have to understand that any M512s will be converted to gates. Two, Hardcopy II devices have much fewer I/O than the closest comparable FPGA. Again, if you proto with SII, make sure you only use pins available on both. Lastly, according to Altera you will not get any speed up on RAM access times. The access times on these guys are quite large, so if you are shooting for 300 MHz+, you're RAM output better feed right into a register, becuase there will be almost no time for route or additional logic.

LSI: Reasonable NRE and pretty low minimum volumes. Logic density is adequate, but it has very little embedded memory. I would be taking a hard look at LSI, if I didn't need so much RAM.

Hope that helps. John

Reply to
statepenn99

john, Thanks a lot of unbiased information. It really is helpful to me.

Reply to
digari

Was that the new LSI RapidChip Integrator2? It has max. 5.6Mgates and 8-9Mbits of SRAM. That SRAM amount is comparable to EP2S180 (9.3Mbit).

--Kim

Reply to
Kim Enkovaara

Does anybody have any experience with the NEC ISSP? How it compares to RapidChip?

Petter

-- A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

Reply to
Petter Gustad

Kim,

Yes, the Rapid Chip. Even the though the physical amount of memory is about the same (9 Mb), I need more granularity. If I remember correclty, that 9 Mb is spread over 300 - 400 RAMs, while the 2S180 has

700+ RAMs.

John

Reply to
statepenn99

You can go the Atmel ULC route where Atmel converts FPGAs to ASIC with a working guarantee!

You need to provide

  • The design
  • The specification in form of testvectors
  • The order and Atmel fixes the rest.

If the part meets the testvectors, it is assumed working. If it doesn't, there is no payment.

You do have to have good testvectors though...

You have to look at each design to determine what is cheaper. Normally, these conversions are based on base dies, and if your design will fit a base die, then it can be realatively cheap and NREs can be written off, on the chip sales. If it is needs a full mask set, then you might see NREs.

If the design is working in an FPGA, then you can sometimes use an older process, where the mask set is not too expensive, and the part will still function to spec.

It may not make sense to convert a MAX7064 to a 90 nm process... It might make sense to convert it to a 0,35u gate array.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson