good starter kit

Hello,

I am a computer engineering student and I am looking to do a project which will require a FPGA or CPLD. I will need something with > 70 general IO pins. I am looking for a development board that will give me an expansion port to plug it into my project. I want something less than $100 perferably less than $50. I am currently considering the CPLD design kit from XILINX which has XC2C256-7TQ144 CoolRunner-II CPLD and XC9572XL-10VQ44 CPLD on it as it seems to be a good starter package. Are there other quick dirty solutions that will allow me to easily program a device and integrate it with my project? I do not need something that has tons of LEDS and pushbuttons and tons of extra proto space.

Thank You Josiah Vivona

Reply to
cpex

Have a look at

They have some nice FPGA and CPLD boards. Most of the boards contain only the necessary with nearly every IO of the FPGA or CPLD going to a connector. If needed you can add some of their IO-boards which contain the leds, push buttons, lcds, ...

Kind regards,

Yves

Reply to
Yves Deweerdt

It seems digilentinc actually makes the kit I refrenced earlier.

Let me rephrase my question are there any starter kits to be had in the $20-$30 range or is 49.99 the min i am going to find

Josiah

which

expansion

perferably

XILINX

it

Reply to
cpex

First $50 is a quite good price on a board. It probably represents an educational discount on the parts.

Before you go buy the $50 board, I would do an accessment to see if the part meets your needs or do you need to spend a little more ($75/$85), and get a part with more capabilities.

Since you are a student, perhaps it might help to put it in perspective of other things you spend money on. How many waters do you have to drink instead of beer or soda to be able to afford the more expensive board or how many bags of chips does the cost of the board represent. It is not as an absurd analysis as you think - chips and soda are much more expensive than you think.

Cheers, Jim

P.S. When I was > It seems digilentinc actually makes the kit I refrenced earlier.

Jim Lewis
Director of Training             mailto:Jim@SynthWorks.com
SynthWorks Design Inc.           http://www.SynthWorks.com
1-503-590-4787

Jim Lewis

on

it

Reply to
Symon

Jim, I notice you didn't economise on beer! Good choice! cheers, Syms.

Reply to
Symon