good bye nios (o;

Finally...

The last 4 days working with NIOS2 since I can't upgrade my subscription...

...or is there an opensource alternative like the "utnios" before?

rick

Reply to
Jedi

Why ? are you a hobbyist ? In the Education, you should have no problem, since Altera policy is quite generous. In the Industry, the investment is modest and very much worth it IMO.

If you are a hobbyist, I think the eval mode lets you generate systems that work for some time and / or in a tethered configuration ?

I don't think there is today a better/cheaper/nicer SOPC environment than NIOSII, but it's a very personal opinion indeed. If you've used it, I'm sure you know what I mean :-)

Bert Cuzeau

Reply to
info_

No...company..

But according to "EBV" it is too expensive to open me up as a customer (o;

I know that...but would not work in my case for building Linux tools.

rick

Reply to
Jedi

Did you look at

?

I don't think there is a nios replacement, but there sure are many alternatives ...

Regards, rudi ============================================================= Rudolf Usselmann, ASICS World Services,

Your Partner for IP Cores, Design, Verification and Synthesis

****** Certified USB 2.0 HS OTG and HS Device IP Cores ******
Reply to
Rudolf Usselmann

Of course (o;

Only have this old utnios design which based on nios32 and then the distribution was prohibited by Altera...

But speaking of...has anybody ever done a CPU SOPC component?

rick

Reply to
Jedi

what you mean was prohibitied by Altera? utnios is is still available I just checked!

What Altera DID try to prohibit was, well they told me that I can promote a sell NIOX

- a NIOS-2 compatible core. So I removed the public links to NIOX from my website.

there is nothing at opencores that could be used as nios-2 replacement, the only opensource environment that i would consider is LEON3/GRLIB, and that is not hosted on opencores.

I have tried to make SOPC processors components and also EDK processor components with EDK I succeeded, I had a AVR processor that was possible to use in EDK/XPS with SOPC it should also be possible, actually it does exist, and is available from altera the Avalon microsequences, its a processor component for SOPC, with full sources, so you can use it as base to design your SOPC processors...

antti news://news.openchip.org

Reply to
Antti Lukats

It was offline for a while..believe me (o; Yes..back at:

Did some tests with it...looks nice...

Gonna dig it out then...kiitoksia (o;

rick

Reply to
Jedi

Oki..found it:

Hmm..Altera login broken? Didn't work for the whole weekend...

rick

Reply to
Jedi

Jedi,

As I understand irt, the expiration of the Nios kit license does not prevent you from using Nios. You will not receive any additional subscription shipments, but you perpetually have a license to compile/ship a product with Nios using the last version that you received in your subscription.

For Quartus the story is different; the dev kit edition of Quartus does expire. You might check Quartus web edition for continued use if you don't wish to renew your subscription.

Jesse Kempa Altera jkempa -at- altera -dot- com

Reply to
kempaj

Hi Rick,

What about Arrow?

Ben

Reply to
Ben Twijnstra

One of the worst distributors here besides Memec... Can try..but takes probably at 1 or 2 weeks until they reply (o;

rick

Reply to
Jedi