generate a square signal with a 3.8 ns "plate"

Hi,

I want to generate this kind of signal with my spartan 3 XCS200 :

I am using the DCM to multiply my oscillator ( 50Mhz ) by 2 ; but, I don' succeed to have this "3.8 ns plate" for each level. I have it only for hig logic level. How can I do ???

( My english is awful , sorry )

Reply to
Scope

This appears to require registration. Can you put it somewhere public?

-- Peter

Reply to
Peter Mendham

Sorry, try this

Regards RG

Reply to
Scope

Scope schrieb:

Are you sure that you do not succeed? You need more than 1GHz of Scope and probe bandwidth to reliably measure signal slopes in the order of 1ns. (As the frequency is fixed, the plate width is defined by the slope of the signal and the duty cycle)

For example with a 150MHz scope you will see a sine wave, no matter what waveform the FPGA generates.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

My Scope is a Tektronix TDS 3054 500Mhz ( 5 GS/s ). Do you think it is no enough ? Is it possible that I can't see the real signal ?

( However, Shannon's rule about sampling is respected )

Reply to
Scope

Scope schrieb:

And what kind of probe? How attatched?

Regards Falk

Reply to
Falk Brunner

My probe is a Tektronix P6139A Voltage probe 500 MHz 8.0 pF 10 Mohms 10x

Reply to
Scope

Scope schrieb:

Way too slow, too much input capacitance. Try to use a passive 50 ohms probe (see link).

Regards Falk

Reply to
Falk Brunner

Scope schrieb:

With a perfectly attached 500MHz setup you will see only the one overtone (300MHz) undamped. The 500MHz part will allready be damped. So even if the FPGA would ouput a perfect square wave your scope would see something that looks worse then the K=5 case in that URL:

If you clamp the gnd connection of a regular probe somewhere on your board and just touch the probe to your signal you are going to see something that is a lot worse. Follow the link that Falk suggested and solder a coax cable with a resistor to your signal.

ALSO: If your signal is unterminated it will look really bad. If it is series terminated it will only look good at the receiver.

ALSO: Select fast slew rate and 24mA drive strength for your output.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma