Free tools

It's a while since I looked at free tools but when I did, Altera's Web version of Quartus was a great deal. I've checked back and it appears that the Web version is time limited now, is this correct?

If so, does anyone know of any free tools from the main FPGA manufacturers?

TIA.

Rog.

Reply to
Roger

The Quartus Web Edition is a free tool even today. The time limited license can be regenerated at any time by the user for another 6 month period. The reason the Web Edition license is kept time limited is that it allows Altera to know who is actively using their product. The Quartus tools both Web Edition and Full Subscription products from version 4.0 onwards take the user to the Altera license generation website to get a new license, when the existing license expires.

Hope this helps.

- Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta

Thanks, great news. I'm an occasional user of programmable logic but prefer to use Altera when I can so free tools are a big factor for me.

Roger (RW Concepts)

Reply to
Roger