Free PCI-bridge in VHDL for Spartan-IIE - Page 2

Re: Free PCI-bridge in VHDL for Spartan-IIE
Dear Antti,

the code is provided free of charge via email.
However, no support or design guidance is guaranteed.
Its use is at your own risk.
So, simply fill in the form and expect a brief email conversation.
( http://www.infotech.tu-chemnitz.de/~tlau/pci_bridge/kontakt.php3 )

Cheers,
Thomas
--
http://www.infotech.tu-chemnitz.de/~knoll /

Re: Free PCI-bridge in VHDL for Spartan-IIE
Hello

There is also an english version of the description and contact form
page available by now.
The title is "Free VHDL implementation of a PCI Brigde using Xilinx
Spartan-IIE FPGA" for the design description page and
"Design reuse of the free VHDL PCI Bridge Core" for the actual contact
form.

There is no direct download, but the source will be sent as
attachement during a short email exchange.

http://www.infotech.tu-chemnitz.de/~knoll/vhdl_pci_bridge /

http://www.infotech.tu-chemnitz.de/~knoll/vhdl_pci_bridge/kontakt.php

Cheers,
Thomas
--
http://www.infotech.tu-chemnitz.de/~knoll /

Re: Free PCI-bridge in VHDL for Spartan-IIE
Hi,

Mine isn't going to be free, but . . . I am considering releasing a PCI
IP core I have been working on for quite some time, and I am trying to
gauge the demand out there for a commercial-grade PCI IP core for
personal users.
However, the PCI IP core itself probably won't be available for another
three months at the earliest (I still need to fix some minor problems,
and setup the infrastructure before the release.).
The price I am thinking of charging for my PCI IP core is only $100
(USD) as long as the licensee meets the following conditions.

* The licensee resides within the United States (Don't have to be a US
citizen.).
* The licensee Will agree that the PCI IP core will be used only for
non-commercial, non-profit, non-academic research, and personal
purposes.
* The licensee is will agree, sign, and mail back to a license agreement
form I will provide.
* The licensee will pay for the PCI IP core license through an online
payment source like PayPal.

This is what my PCI IP core looks like:

* PCI Local Bus Revision 2.2 compliant.
* Burst initiator/target access support.
* 6 Base Address Register (BAR) and Expansion ROM BAR support.
* Meets 33MHz PCI timings with Spartan-II-5 (Currently, no 66MHz PCI
support with any device due to setup time issues . . .).
* General purpose PCI testbench comes with a PCI arbiter, PCI host
bridge emulator, and PCI target device to allow the user to quickly
debug their design.
* The PCI IP core supplied in NGO netlist format (Xilinx's proprietary
netlist format.).
* Nominally supports Xilinx Virtex, Spartan-II, or newer FPGAs.
* Constraint file supplied for Spartan-II PQ208 and FG456 package,
Virtex-E XCV300E BG432 package, Insight Electronics Spartan-II 150 PCI
card, and Spartan-II 200 PCI card.
* Comes with three reference designs (Two similar target only designs
and one target/initiator design.).
* Fully supports Verilog (Reference designs and the PCI testbench are
written in Verilog.).
* Limited VHDL support (No reference designs and PCI testbench. Might do
VHDL porting of reference designs and PCI testbench someday, but I won't
guarantee that.).
* Supports ISE WebPACK 3.2 or later (The use of ISE WebPACK 5.1 or later
is strongly recommended.).
* Should work with paid version (non-WebPACK) ISE software, but hasn't
been tested.
* Free Xilinx ISE WebPACK and ModelSim XE-Starter can be used to
simulate, synthesize, place & route, and generate a bitstream file.
* Should work with non-XST synthesis tools, but hasn't been tested.

        The PCI IP core will also be available for commercial licensees
in NGO netlist format or as Verilog RTL code, but they will cost
considerably more than $100 (Especially the Verilog RTL license.).
The motivation behind this $100 license is to allow hobbyists to build
their own PCI device for about $500 ($275 for Insight Electronics
Spartan-II 200 PCI card with a parallel port JTAG cable, $100 for the
PCI IP core license, $100 for a printed copy of PCI specification from
PCI-SIG, and other miscellaneous costs like shipping cost and sales
tax.) without having them to spend too much time designing their own PCI
interface.
My guess is that there are probably a few hundred people in the United
States who will rather license a PCI IP core with testbench for $100
than to do their own or use Opencores.org PCI IP core.
I believe this PCI IP core is a great learning vehicle for those who
want to learn programmable logic or Verilog, or for use in a student
project (The student can concentrate on backend logic rather than the
PCI bus.).
Let me know if anyone is interesting in this product.

Kevin Brace

Re: Free PCI-bridge in VHDL for Spartan-IIE

How can you possibly justify this restriction?  You get a chance to explain
yourself before the rants arrive, but it'd better be *very* good.

David Brown
Norway.

Re: Free PCI-bridge in VHDL for Spartan-IIE
Hi David,

That restriction is there for legal reasons.
If what I am dealing with wasn't an IP core, there won't be such a
restriction.

Kevin Brace

Re: Free PCI-bridge in VHDL for Spartan-IIE

Now I'm curious, too.  What _are_ those legal reasons, precisely?

--
GPG: D5D4E405 - 2F9B BCCC 8527 692A 04E3  331E FAF8 226A D5D4 E405

Re: Free PCI-bridge in VHDL for Spartan-IIE
Hi Marius,

I believe it is theoretically much harder to enforce contractual
obligation like prohibition of redistribution or the requirement of
non-profit use if the licensee resides in a foreign country.

Kevin Brace

Re: Free PCI-bridge in VHDL for Spartan-IIE

I believe that you have almost no possibility of realisticly enforcing your
contracts with people within the USA - for a start, how do you intend to
identify abusers of your software?  Even if you find someone whom you can
prove has broken the contract, it would cost you far more time and money
that it is worth wasting.  Your market would not be big enough that it would
be worth going after a few cheats as "examples to others".

There are many countries in the rest of the world - and in many of them, it
is much easier and cheaper to enforce such contracts than in the USA.  And
for those countries where it would be harder - if your core is so much
better than other available cores or home-writen cores, and the
people/companies are so corrupt that they would take your core without
paying the full license, then they are going to be able to get hold of it
anyway so you might as well take their $100 rather than nothing.