Free alternatives to Xilinx iMPACT?

I have a Xilinx Platform Cable USB. With Xilinx iMPACT I can use it to program CPLDs. Is there a free alternative (preferably some command-line tool that works on Linux)?

Philipp

Reply to
Philipp Klaus Krause

I don't have any Xilinx hardware, so I haven't tested, but perhaps xc3sprog might work?

HTH-- Torfinn Ingolfsen, Norway

Reply to
Torfinn Ingolfsen

Look for xc3sprog. Please compile from trunk: svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/xc3sprog/code/trunk xc3sprog-code

Bye

Uwe Bonnes

Xilinx "Lab Tools" are free, and Impact doesn't even need a license or key. So, I'm not sure why you need a third-party product to use the cable unless you wanted to program non-Xilinx parts.

--
Gabor
Reply to

Hi,

I'm using "Scientific Linux", up-to-date version, xc3sprog with Xilinx Spartan 6 LX9, LX25, LX45 and attached SPI flash.

It supports the "cheap" Xilinx platform cable using "-c xpc" cable driver (just "USB", without "II", got mine from ebay for USD 30). I had to fix a lowercase error in some config file in /etc/somewhere to "fxload" the firmware, can't' remember the details.

I've used also xverve "Signalyzer H4" (a boxed FTDI chip) and the FTDI chip on the Papilio Pro board. The FTDI-based cables usually need setting product / vendor ID in xc3sprog (dmesg, lsusb), sometimes I have to remove the USB-serial driver (rmmod).

xc3sprog/Linux is pretty fast, and for some cables I can increase the cable rate, making it even faster.

It can also to put chunks of data to an arbitrary location on the SPI flash via command line, which seems pretty useful (discaimer, haven't used this in "production" yet but it worked as expected in a small test)

mnentwig

Thanks. This one looks good, but it seems the Xilinx Platform Cable USB is not in the list of supported hardware, so I'll have to get another cable.

Philipp

Reply to
Philipp Klaus Krause

Hi,

the "Xilinx platform cable USB" works with "-c xpc" cable driver option.

Cheers

Markus

mnentwig