Free 8 bit micro for fpga

Just saw that Lattice announced a free open source 8 bit micro on their site.

Any code wizards out there who can write a C compilier for this mico8? This open core would sure make life easier than dealing with the lawyer documents needed for an IP core.

Teo

Reply to
Teo

And while you are at it,

Make a c compiler for pico-Blaze, too.

Austin

Reply to
austin

It's been done...

By the way I was surprised that Lattice is really offering "open" source and not a free license to use on Lattice parts only.

Reply to
Gabor

"Gabor" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

this was VERY clever from them. You understand it if you think about it. As they are releasing the sources they can actually prevent the use of it, so it makes more business for them to allow the use in non-Lattice silicon.

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

"austin" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

well I made a Xilinx version of it ;) project files are at OpenForge

the syntesis report is at and of message, 0% utilization is nice to see feature !!! does it mean I can use infinite number of Mico8 in S3-1500? ok joking ;)

Antti

report for Mico8 (Xilinx Version)

Device utilization summary:

---------------------------

Selected Device : 3s1500fg676-5

Number of Slices: 130 out of 13312 0% Number of Slice Flip Flops: 71 out of 26624 0% Number of 4 input LUTs: 199 out of 26624 0% Number of bonded IOBs: 30 out of 487 6% Number of BRAMs: 1 out of 32 3% Number of GCLKs: 1 out of 8 12%

========================================================================= TIMING REPORT

Clock Information:

------------------

-----------------------------------+------------------------+-------+ Clock Signal | Clock buffer(FF name) | Load |

-----------------------------------+------------------------+-------+ clk | BUFGP | 84 |

-----------------------------------+------------------------+-------+

Timing Summary:

--------------- Speed Grade: -5

Minimum period: 7.568ns (Maximum Frequency: 132.130MHz) Minimum input arrival time before clock: 2.571ns Maximum output required time after clock: 6.306ns Maximum combinational path delay: No path found

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Do you happen to have the same summary for a like-resourced PicoBlaze ?

Be interesting to compare the two.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

I'm struggling to see that, when it appears you can use the design without distributing the source.

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

you probably know that there are numerous other free vhdl micro models, particularly a PIC 16C5x. This one is nice because Microchip provides a free developpement tool for PIC's micros.

You can get the PIC 16C5x vhdl there:

And the PIC dev-tool (MPLAB) there:

Uxello

Reply to
uxello

I get it:

"Who are Lattice?" "Lattice? Oh they released that free 8bit IP core" "Oh you mean free like the PPC402 and Pico/MicroBlaze IPs..." "No, the Lattice core is vendor independent...." "Oh..... Danish?" "No, just a cookie, I'm watching my diet"

Reply to
dave