FPGAs: Where will they go?

The NiosII is relatively new ( as lifelines go ) so not for 2005, but for 2006, or 2007 - imagine a low end Cyclone, with NIOS in the corner ?

Why ? NIOS and Microblaze are fpga resource optimised, but that is not mutually exclusive to any process level.

Altera will have numbers already on what a simple hardcopy NIOS port does, and probably also a good idea on what a little effort can do, were they to make it a more tuned HW cell.

My guess is we will see this [HW FPGA.Cpu] first from Altera, as they do not have a PPC, and already have the flows.

Yes. Look at the ST STW22000 device, the Cell processor?, and the Triscend devices. They all focus on the approach that "some FPGA is a good idea". Most discussion here is ASIC _OR_ FPGA - but why not offer both ? - start to be intelligent about what resource moves to HW/ASIC, and what stays in the smaller/simpler FPGA corner of the die ?

The tools are probably good enough now, the flows are proven.

I think the new Xilinx Strip die/flip chip would make this relatively easy to do, engineering wise. The politics is another matter :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

This is interesting... it mentions Gibson Guitar Corp. as one of the customers for the Cyclone. And every time I install ISE, I see a picture of Gibson proclaiming "Spartan-3 - I made it my ASIC". Looks like they're using a Cyclone for one product and decided to use Spartan-3 for another. "The best of both worlds" in one company :)

cu, Sean

Reply to
Sean Durkin