FPGA vs ASIC

When it comes to designing for fpgas or asics there are a lot of guidelines/rules that need to be followed consistently between the both. Yes! things dealing with verilog event queue, metastability and asynchronous clock domains, etc. What I am wondering is what are the key differences between the designs targeted toward one or the other. Thought it may make an interesting discussion.

Some that come to mind are -

  • Number of logic levels between flops
  • Uniform delay through a lut vs different delays through nand gates. Asic delays highly dependent on the synthesizer and coding style? FPGAs more forgiving about how the combinatorial logic is coded?
  • Asynchronous resets in fpgas
  • Clock gating not as efficient in fpga therefore use flop enables. Require changes to the coding style?
  • Others?
Reply to
fpgabuilder

All good questions, although some of your implied conclusions are arguable at best.

I'd suggest the following:

- cost per function (much higher in FPGA) vs. NRE (much higher in ASIC)

- speed/density/power: cutting-edge ASIC will always win on all three of these, but the configurability and low NRE of FPGA may well win for many applications

- instant-on: most FPGAs need configuration on power-up, and this can take some time; ASICs just need stable power rails and a reset

- can't integrate custom analog functionality on an FPGA?

But you specifically talked about "designing for"; in that case, I suspect your next big question should be about large, fixed functions. If you want a multiplier, or a memory, in an FPGA you need to use one of the available preset configurations of a built-in hard macro. If you don't have enough of those hard macros, tough luck. By contrast, such functions in ASIC are usually provided as parameterized library macros that can be built in any reasonable size or shape, and in any number, up to the device limits. And, of course, if you don't use some hard-macro resource on an FPGA, it's just wasted. The FPGA vendors work hard (and smart) to get the balance about right for the majority of their customers, and to keep the cost penalties reasonable for the others; but the issue is definitely there.

--
Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

jonathan.bromley@MYCOMPANY.com
http://www.MYCOMPANY.com

Jonathan Bromley

This is only true when working in the same feature size. FPGAs tend to be on the bleeding edge of process where ASIC starts usually lag behind by at least one or two process generations. Generally speaking, a lag of 2 generations puts a reasonably carefully executed FPGA design pretty much on par with an ASIC design in terms of the speed/power/density.

Another factor to consider for FPGAs is that design errors do not restart the design cycle clock the way an ASIC error can.

Reply to
Ray Andraka

such as?

In favor of fpga I would also put down less rigid market window/ size.

All good comments. But they are more related to the FPGA vs ASIC trade studies... I am more interested in differences in design practices...

Reply to
fpgabuilder

"Uniform delay through a LUT" is some way off the truth these days - fanout delay typically dominates over LUT/gate internal delays, and in more recent processes it's routing delay that matters even more; these issues hit both ASIC and FPGA designers, albeit with many differences of detail - as I'm sure you're aware.

"FPGAs more forgiving about how the combinatorial logic is coded?" Not in my experience, for sure - although of course almost all of that stuff is the synthesis tool's problem, not the designer's.

But, to reiterate: interesting questions. All the more interesting because the answers to them continue to shift thanks to new FPGA, ASIC and design tool technology.

Indeed.

[...]

Well.... I think I know what you're getting at, but surely awareness of market issues is a vital skill for designers, and such issues have a huge influence on design practice?

--
Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

jonathan.bromley@MYCOMPANY.com
http://www.MYCOMPANY.com

Jonathan Bromley

I'd add that IOs for new FPGAs easily outperform IOs for ASICs at a feature size that allows a reasonable NRE. For the 0.18 and 0.15 micron ASICs, the IOs just don't compete with FPGAs! With all the discussion on how ASICs can perform better than FPGAs, I was lulled into a false sense of adequacy. Compromising on I/O just sucks. Go Go FPGAs!

Reply to
John_H

On an FPGA your logic will probably run half as fast as the block memories while on an ASIC it is the other way around. This could lead to different design styles.

-- Jecel

Reply to
Jecel

[..]

I have a different experience. The points above are more a question of how hard you squeece a technology than a question between ASIC and FPGA. You can have relaxed designs in both where you don't have to bother and you can have designs on the edge of the technology in both. The only major difference for the points above I would agree is when it comed to adders because nearly every actual fpga provides fast carry logic which I haven't seen in ASIC so far. This means that in ASIC you have a lot faster adders than ripple carry while in fpga you will use the ripple carry in most cases.

????

enables.

This is one of the most important changes. I have designs which are implemented in asic and fpga and this is one of the most important changes.

Whenever I have a relaxed design, I code in a way that fits for all. If i need to squeeze the last out of the technology, my code depends on the choosen tech-lib and wouldn't even be easy portable between different technologies of the same vendor, so why bother between asic and fpga?

bye Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Stanka

Almost all ASIC libraires I've used has a full adder in it which is basically what a fast carry logic is in an FPGA where they have hardwired full adders which don't need to be made from luts and don't need the programmable interconnect. I'ts very easy to accomplish the same in an ASIC.

Reply to
mk

Are Asics and FPGA's really that close?

The following paper by Kuon and Rose compares a 90nm standard cell asic technology with a 90nm FPGA, and shows that the FPGA takes a 40x density hit (only 20x if include FPGA hard macros), critical path delay 3-4x slower, and dynamic power 12x more.

"Measuring the Gap between FPGAs and Asics", Kuon and Rose, Proceedings of the 2006 ACM/SIGDA 14th international symposium on Field programmable gate arrays. Abstract below.

They made the comparison by implementing the following design elements.

Design, ALUTs, Total Memory, 9x9 Bits Multipliers booth 68 0 0 rs encoder 703 0 0 cordic18 2 105 0 0 cordic8 455 0 0 des area 595 0 0 des perf 2 604 0 0 fir restruct 673 0 0 mac1 1 885 0 0 aes192 1 456 0 0 fir3 84 4 0 diffeq 192 24 0 diffeq2 288 24 0 molecular 8 965 128 0 rs decoder1 706 13 0 rs decoder2 946 9 0 atm 16 544 0 3 204 aes 809 0 32 768 aes inv 943 0 34 176 ethernet 2 122 0 9 216 serialproc 680 0 2 880 fir24 1 235 50 96 pipe5proc 837 8 2 304 raytracer 16 346 171 54 758

Abstract This paper presents experimental measurements of the differences between a 90nm CMOS FPGA and 90nm CMOS Standard Cell ASICs in terms of logic density, circuit speed and power consumption. We are motivated to make these measurements to enable system designers to make better informed choices between these two media and to give insight to FPGA makers on the deficiencies to attack and thereby improve FPGAs. In the paper, we describe the methodology by which the measurements were obtained and we show that, for circuits containing only combinational logic and flipflops, the ratio of silicon area required to implement them in FPGAs and ASICs is on average 40. Modern FPGAs also contain "hard" blocks such as multiplier/accumulators and block memories and we find that these blocks reduce this average area gap significantly to as little as 21. The ratio of critical path delay, from FPGA to ASIC, is roughly 3 to

4, with less influence from block memory and hard multipliers. The dynamic power consumption ratio is approximately 12 times and, with hard blocks, this gap generally becomes smaller.

Reply to
Andrew FPGA

The FPGAs and ASICs compared have the same feature size, in which case it is to be expected that the ASICs will outperform. But the point being made was the following:

IIRC Xilinx Virtex-5 is on a 45nm process. This allows for 4 times the effective area that a 90nm process allows. It seems that if we scale the results from the quoted paper, a 45nm FPGA will take only a 5x density hit (allowing hard macros) compared to a 90nm ASIC. I don't know how critical path delay or dynamic power scale with process size, but once you get small enough static power becomes at least as important as dynamic power due to leakage currents etc.

Phil

Reply to
Philip Potter

No, Virtex-5 is 65nm. No foundry is selling 45nm production wafers yet.

mk

I was not sure how gate size scales with silicon area used so I did not do your calculation - but I certainly did not think 2 process generations would give a 20x density improvement. Do you not think a

5x density difference is significant?

Also, they compared the FPGA to a standard cell asic. Presumably with full custom the difference would be even greater. (and the NRE FPGA advantage would be even greater too of course.)

Reply to
Andrew FPGA

A 5x density difference is significant but it is less significant than a

20x density difference. (As mk rightly points out, my 5x figure is based on the faulty assumption that the FPGA is 45nm.) The point I was making is that the paper you quoted compares FPGAs and ASICs on the same process, which is often not the choice which a business will be given.

Gate density, dynamic power, and clock speed are only some of the considerations a business will look at when choosing their implementation technology. FPGAs have clear advantages over ASICs in some areas, but as you have pointed out ASICs have advantages over FPGAs in others.

Yes, you're probably correct here.

Reply to
Philip Potter

No FPGA foundry... Intel is selling 45nm quad core processors now. Historically, processors and FPGAs are leading applications of the latest, smallest geometry sizes (for general purpose logic, as opposed to specific things like memory, etc.).

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Intel is not a foundry ie it doesn't sell foundry services where people can send them a design to be manufactured in their fabrication facilities for a price. TSMC, UMC, Chartered and SMIC are examples of foundries and none of them is selling production 45nm wafers at this time.

Reply to
mk

Andrew FPGA wrote: (snip)

Is Sea-of-gates still available? I used to have the descriptions of the libraries for them. For SOG, as I understand it, only one custom mask is needed, over what it pretty much an array of transistors. The timing isn't quite as good as standard cell, as the transistor size can't be varied as much. It should be a lot cheaper, though.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

IBM claims to provide a 45 nm ASIC process(IBM Cu-45HP ASIC). I don't know, if you could get a production start right now(if your device would be ready for production), but it is offered to customers on their homepage.

bye Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Stanka

Is it only a fulladder gate, or a full adder (for given bitsize)? The adders I've seen in ASIC libs provide no fast carry compared to normal cell delay. But that has nothing to say, as I'm not that experienced in comparing ASIC technologies.

bye Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Stanka

Here is a quote from their press release: "IBM SiGe BiCMOS 6WL design kits are available now. IBM plans to have SiGe BiCMOS 5PAe design kits available this summer and first design kits for CMOS 11LP Foundry products later in 2007. The planned availability date for Cu-45HP ASIC is in early 2008."

mk