FPGA start?

I want to start with Xilinx FPGA's. How does one start cheap? I see a
development kit from Digilent for $99 US.
It is for a Spartan IIE. But then I see there is a Spartan III but no
development kit for this.

What are the options. Can the Spartan IIE 200K gate do a lot of designs. Is
that enough gates?

--
Yours sincerely,

Bobi Mageroski
Re: FPGA start?

Memec had Spartan III S50J kits but those are all sold out :(
also notice that did use "J" version with only 2.5 IO and no BRAM
more S3 kits from Memec are exptected but timeline unknown

thats a lot and pretty much enough :)

antti

Re: FPGA start?

Depending on your budget I would advice you to take a look at the
modular development boards at http://www.burched.biz /.

As you become more experienced with FPGAs and your needs grow, these
boards will offer you the opportunity to expand.

Re: FPGA start?
The Shortwave radio design I refer to on my website uses a 100K gate Spartan
(http://www.andraka.com ). Not so long ago, 200K gates was considered an
enormous device.  At that time (about 6 years ago), I was using mostly 25K gate
XC4025E's and doing some pretty sophisticated signal processing with 3 or four
of them on a board.  With that in mind, 200K gates should be ample for what you
intend.

--Ray Andraka, P.E.