FPGA servo motor controller

ei anyone can help me with the algorithm on how to control a servomotor... cause we are gonna use it on our thesis... by the it's called "FPGA based intravenous infusion monitoring and control system"

can anyone help us out on how to control a servomotor...will be using the servomotor to clamp the tube of an I.V.(intravenous) tube... the flow of the algorithm will bw this... first a personnel will input how many dosage a patient gets and then the servomotor will clamp the I.V. tube so that the desired dosage is achive... by the way will be using optical sensors to monitor the drops of the I.V. fluid i will be placed at the outside of the drip chamber...

but we have a problem what if the drip of the fluid change how will the servomotor adjust it so that the dosage will be maintained...will use a feedback but how are we gonna implement it on FPGA..

got any suggestion on the algorithm... or any sites that can help us solve this problem

Reply to
iceman

you did not specify what type of servo you need to control, if that R/C servo then that can be easily connected to FPGA there are some free ip cores for that.

BUT controlling R/C servo and doing some algorithm is way simpler faster and cheaper when implemented using some small microcontroller not an FPGA - so unless there are other reasons to use FPGA then microcontroller based design would be better choice

antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

were going to use R/C type of servomotor... any suggestions on the servomotor that we are going to use...

Reply to
iceman

Is the volume of a drop constant no matter the drip rate?

Controlling R/C servomotors is pretty easy. There is lots of info on the web. I think the position is controlled by the length of an input pulse. Maybe a better method would be to use a stepper motor connected to a wormscrew clamp. Then you could control the absolute position (rather than relative) better. -Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Neilson

yes the volume of the drop is constant...

Reply to
iceman