FPGA Programming using Block Design Files or Graphic Design Files

Hello, I know this is a off-the-wall question, but bear with me. In my effort to become more efficient and improve my design process in my FPGA design I always create a top block diagram that is either a Block Design File (.bdf) or a Graphic Design File (.gdf). If you are not familiar with these files, they are basically a schematic where you can graphically add symbols and connect symbols via wires or buses. I believe using these files reduces complexity, and creates documentation while you design. I know it does take some time placing the wires, which is why some don't uses these files in their fpga design. In addition, using these graphical files allows you to create a hierarchical design which again helps manage complexity and makes the design easier to modify/maintain. I'm just wondering how many people use some sort of graphic design in their FPGA programs? I see so many benefits of doing so, but my co-workers see it as a waste of time placing those wires and symbols they would just rather have a design contain lots of .vhdl, .v, and .tdf files. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, experiences on the topic? I'm not trying to be picky, its just when I see a tool that can help reduce complexity if can't understand why people wouldn't use it.

thanks, joe

Reply to
jjlindula

Hi joe,

I use graphical only on top level,that to when I would like to alter the top level components and experiment with the components and their interfacing becausing it is easy for me to alter the connections.

If I knew the connections between the components and if am sure that those top level blocks/modules and their interface is fixed then I will code it in HDL.

I am also interested to know what others think of this approach.

thks & regds, Monica, Germany

Reply to
Monica

Funny, I just had a similar conversation with coworkers this morning who asked why I didn't use a schematic for an FPGA design.

I never use anything other than VHDL sources in my designs. That's the only way you can guarantee portability between chip vendors, as well as saving your bacon when a vendor decides that he doesn't like the current schematic/block-diagram format/tool and changes it.

Plus, commenting in block diagrams and schematics is a pain.

Plus also too, I like to have real VHDL testbenches.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

I like a graphical view of a design but prefer text as the source.

With a good editor, copy/pasting of HDL instances and wiring them up is no more difficult that moving boxes and wires around graphically and typing in labels.

With an RTL viewer you can let the computer draw multi-level schematics for you from the HDL text files.

With an HDL simulator you can verify that all the wires are correct without even looking at the HDL or schematic views.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

I just wanted to say that I write all of my code in text form, but I create a symbol of the text code. Then in my schematic page, I just insert the newly created symbol. I thought I needed to add this piece of information. When everything is done I have a nice functional diagram and when I click on the symbol it opens up my text code, written in .VHDL, or Verilog, or Altera's AHDL (which is very easy to write). I'm using Quartus and MaxPlus both from Altera. I don't know if you can do this in Xlinx or other FPGA IDE's. A great idea to help manage a complex design.

I'm so happy to hear people discussing this topic and appreciate all responses.

thanks, joe

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
jjlindula

Andy,

I know that commenting in schematics is a pain, but if you give your schematic (FPGA project) to someone else they could gain so much information pertaining to the design and any assumptions/comments that needed to be passed on. Most people I work with say, "I do all my documenation in Power Point" and I say that doing it in the schematic it is already there and there's no need to start a Power Point project. Document as you go. Just my thoughts, do what works well for you and thanks for your comments.

joe

Reply to
jjlindula

I guess whether you can use this block-diagram-linked-to-code method depends on how you partition and code your design. I don't see any gain in insight if you have a bunch of small blocks connected together, and each of the small blocks has, say, a mux or a register. I'd guess that you have a bunch of disjoint files called MUX16_1 and such, each containing a simple entity, and I agree that there's a lot of typing involved in wiring these things together.

I hate having to constrain my coding style to fit a tool that'll change with the next release.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

I just wanted to say that I write all of my code in text form, but

piec

al

in that field and also donot know that xilinx provides this featur or not.I am using xilinx spartan-2 and so working on ISE 7.1

things to make documentation for my final year project side by sid with project , and also it may things more clear

Bloc

ca

documentatio

th