FPGA programming

Hi all, I am developing my first circuit board with FPGA. Trying to make a circuit board without PROM for FPGA programming so just using the FPGA, hence cutting down the cost as well for security. Planning on using the JTAG method where the bit file is used to directly program the FPGA. In this case since the FPGA needs to be programmed every time on powerup, is there a cache in the FPGA which stores the bitstream and configures the FPGA each time on powerup. Or does the bitstream need to be downloaded each time when the FPGA is powered up unlike the PROM method where the FPGA gets configured from the PROM. I couldnt find any documentation on Xilinx website for these questions. So any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks & regards

Reply to
design

security.

No. There is only static RAM in the FPGA for storage, nothing that can last beyond power cycling.

is

Yes. But I wouldn't say its "unlike" the PROM method. At the FPGA the bitstream is loaded after each power cycle in either instance. In the case of the PROM, the bitstream is on-board. With JTAG it comes from your computer.

questions.

Many of the Xilinx FPGA's have both a datasheet and a user guide. There is much more detailed information about configuration (and other topics) in the user guides than in the datasheets.

Reply to
Gabor

security.

is

questions.

Don't know what size fpga you need, but you can forget about the boot prom if you want by using the XP fpga. It is sram + flash on the same die.

Teo

Thank you Gabor for the information.

Reply to
design