FPGA pinout

Hello all,

I have to design a FPGA which is located solely in a small board (DB). The DB is connected to the main board with a connector whose schematic I have (all exhanged signals locations). I am requested to deliver a pinout of my FPGA, can someone tell me which are the constraints of this task? The only constraint I have in mind is that signals belonging to the same bus must be placed to pins that are very close (bit 0 next to bit 1 and so on). The timing of all signals is not critical since the maximum clock frequency of the signals is 78MHz and the technology used is LVTTL.

Thanks in advance for your help

Reply to
alphaboran

This is probably the *worst* pinout from the point of view of ground bounce. Read the guidelines for SSOs in the datasheet. You can have a maximum number of outputs per VCC/GND pair, or a maximum number of outputs per I/O bank. (The datasheet will have the maximum numbers allowable, and this number will differ with the I/O standard used. LVTTL is one of the worst!)

Also add grounds to regular I/O pins close to your clock inputs. (Use floorplanner or fpga editor to work out which pins are closest on the die. This isn't always the same as "close" on the BGA balls.)

Make your clock inputs differential if possible.

IIRC, one of the Xilinx app notes recommended adding grounds to regular I/O pins around the DCMs. Again, use floorplanner or fpga editor to work out which pins these are.

Regards, Allan.

Reply to
Allan Herriman