FPGA not in boundary scan

Hi

I am using Impact and Xilinx Multilinx cable to communicate to my FPGA board. I was able that the connection to the board is established, but somehow I just see a CPLD instead of a Virtex II FPGA board. Anyone an idea how to have access to the FPGA that is hosted on the board?

Mike

Connect your cable to the JTAG chain that the FPGA is hooked up to.

You couldn't be much more vague. Whether it's a development board or your own board, you should be able to find schematics. These schematics may show the JTAG pins of the FPGA (TDI, TDO, TCLK, TRST or similar names) either unconnected or connected to a specific JTAG connector or JTAG chain. If you can identify which chain, you're on your way. If you are connected to the correct chain and you don't see the device, there's something wrong on the application side (not configuring things properly?) rather than the hardware side.

- John_H

Reply to
John_H

If

Thanks John, yes the hardware side should be fine, I have correctly connected all the pins and as I mentioned I can see one device but the FPGA is missing. I am using ISE 7.1, probably there are issues with using the Multilinx cable? Can anyone from the Xilinx guys give an answer to that if the Multilinx cable works alright with the 7.1 version?

Reply to
Mike

To see only the CPLD, the FPGA must be IDENTIFIED and put into bypass.

The problem you've identified screams that something is very wrong, not simply a matter of the cable.

Are you using Impact? Chipscope? Synplicity's Identify? If you have anything else that does JTAG, get a second opinion.

Help us help you - please specify what board and what software.

Reply to
John_H

Oh I wish someone of you could help me a out a little bit ;). Anyway I installed ISE 7.1 and the drivers for the ADM-XRC-II board on another machine. I connected and installed the MultiLinx cable to the board and used Impact to get the devices in the boundary scan. Again I can just see the Xilinx xc9572xl CPLD in the boundary scan. According to section

6.3 of the ADM-XRC-II manual, the FPGA (VirtexII) and CPLD are on the same JTAG chain, so both should be visible in the software:

Any helpful comments are appreciated!

Reply to
Mike

And yes, I have exactly set up this connections to the FPGA board which should be fine but there is still just this one CPLD in my boundary scan!

Reply to
Mike

Alright, my mistake. Actually there is another JTAG interface hiden between the two boards. With this one it should work.

Sorry for the confusion!

Reply to
Mike

I'm glad you found the second JTAG chain. If you have any more troubles, we should be able to help out better this next round. Happy Hunting!

Reply to
John_H