FPGA Network Encryption Engine

Hey all,

I have some questions on ISE/EDK. I would really appreciate some help.

Before I start, some explanation of my project. It's called Network Encryption Engine. There are two components in the project, Client and Server. Client is our FPGA board. Whenever client has request use a specific encryption standard (we just using AES only). It will connect to server and download the bit-stream and run it on FPGA and will give the necessary outputs.

Question A For simple case, we assume the AES part is available locally. Our code for AES is on Verilog. Our application is running on PowerPC developed by EDK. Problem is right now interfacing these two.

For simpler case, like full adder in Verilog and Simple C application to write the UART (HyperTerminal), how do I integrate it so that I can read the input (full adder) from UART and write it to ports on the Verilog code and display the output back in the UART.

Question B For network development part, there are several options a. XIlnet b. RTOS like Vxworks, Linux c. ucLinux d. Connect to another board which has TCP/IP Stack already enabled.

-Found the Xilinx site that, option (a) is not stable and unreliable

-BSP for option (b) came with the ML310 board, but IDE's to develop application need to be bought and are expensive.

- ucLinux must be ported to ML310 Microblaze design

- d is most viable option now.

Is there any other options we can use to develop this.?

Technical Details Development Board: ML310 FPGA: Virtex 2 Pro

Thank you in Advance

Cheers Shakith

Reply to
Shakith

free PPC linux should useable as well

- thats weird! Why is Xilinx providing a solution that they say is not stable?

basic uCLinux porting for new (but suitable) board takes less than one day (at least to the shell prompt, getting networking done could be taking some more time). I have done a few ports, after the first one the next ones are easy :)

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

The biggest challenge here is the architecture of the ML310 - the ethernet NIC is on the PCI bus, not directly connected to the FPGA. Fine idea, but makes system implementation that much more complicated (more complicated than necessary?)...

So, there's be a bit of work to get the PCI support up and running in Microblaze uClinux, I'm not sure if anyone has done it yet. I know that PCI is regularly supported in other uClinux targets, so perhaps it's not such a big deal. Hit the uclinux-dev and microblaze-uclinux mailing lists to find out.

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams