FPGA input

I am working on a FIR/IIR project, where I am using the Xilinx Spartan

2E FPGA. I am fairly new to the FPGA world and to VHDL. In this project I will be given 4 sets of coefficients in which I have to run through the filters to determine the type of filter it is. My question is, is there a way to read in these coefficient files? Currently, I input the coefficients manually into the vhdl code.
Reply to
ty

You could write a small program that generates VHDL package from your coefficients file, using any language that you are familiar with.

The less unfamiliar tools you use, the more robust your project becomes. I used the CoreGenerator once to generate boot roms for a CPU design and it sucked mightily. I don't remember the details (luckily), but the thing was difficult to control from a Makefile, I think, it had strange conventions where it wanted its input and output files to be, it needed to start up Java although I didn't need any GUI, etc.

Now I just write small programs (often in C) that outputs a VHDL package with the needed constants. Simple, easy, works every time.

Reply to
Marius Vollmer