FPGA for video processing

Hi All, I'm after a piece of FPGA or DSP-based hardware for the purposes of performing real time video processing on digital high bandwidth video - typically DVI 1280x1024 @ 60Hz. Can anybody recommend a board (either PCI/PC or VME based) that would have the appropriate DVI-like inputs and outputs and which would be likley to have sufficient bandwidth to handle this resolution?.

Any comments or suggestions are sgratefully receieved.

Ta, Dave

Reply to
Dave Moore

Hi Dave,

Haven't got a clue on how much it will cost you, but how about

Sounds powerful enough...

Best regards,

Ben

Reply to
Ben Twijnstra

Xilinx devices tend to do well in this kind of application because of their SRL16s that can be used as delay elements for line buffers or as part of a DSP function. We are already doing work in this area with one of customers on a DVI output stage and video processing unit.

In the short term our Broaddown2 product may meet you needs either standalone or with one our add-on Swinyard modules. Q3 will see the launch of Broaddown4 which will offer a higher performance Virtex-4 solution if that is what you need.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair

Oh I forgot to say that a new option called "OVERCOAT" is now available on Broaddown2 that allows easy stacking of boards if you want an array of FPGAs. Nothing too complex - we simply fit some of the DIL Headers back to front to allow easy insertion into the board in a board stack. The limit on the stack size are the number of Broaddown2s you have, your power supply and physically the space you have.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

"John Adair" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@ersa.uk.clara.net...

Reply to
John Adair

How much do you want to spend? Which brand of FPGA (Altera or XIlinx)? What other features needed - DVI in/out Analog out? I am working on a board with DVI In/out, RGB analog in/out, It will have 2, Xilinx 3S400's on it.

Reply to
Lee

Hi Dave,

for the DVI digital Interface, you will need an additional interface chip, ie. the TI TFP 401, because the DVI LVDS is a little bit special. I have built a DVI to LVDS (display-panel) converter, without buffering the complete image. It was a little bit tricky to keep the dvi and lcd panel synchronized, because I only use a fifo (that can take 4 lines) as buffer.

If you want to do image processing, you probably need the entire image inside ram, so your ram must be fast enough to write and read an image in real-time. A while ago I did this calculation and I figured, that a DDR400 will do it for that refresh rate and resolution.

regards, Benjamin

Reply to
Benjamin Menküc